* Display update bug in notmuch new
@ 2018-07-30 13:24 Thomas Schneider
From: Thomas Schneider @ 2018-07-30 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I discovered an issue in notmuch new: when deleting a large amount of
messages (so that it takes long and displays “$time remaining”), it does
not clean the line afterwards:

---
$ pwd
/home/qsx/.maildir/fnord
$ tar xf /tmp/mails.tar
$ notmuch new
Processed 9001 total files in 4s (2113 files/sec.).
Added 9001 new messages to the database.
$ rm new/*
$ notmuch new
No new mail. Removed 9001 messages.lmost no time remaining).
---

Version information: notmuch 0.27, on GNU/Linux

Steps to reproduce:

---
cd $MAILDIR
cat << EOF > /tmp/test.py
ADDRESS = "test@example.org"

import mailbox
import email.message
import email.utils
from datetime import datetime

mb = mailbox.Maildir('./test') # will create if not existing

for i in range(1, 9002): # OVER NINE THOUSAND
    m = email.message.EmailMessage()
    m["From"] = ADDRESS
    m["To"] = ADDRESS
    m["Date"] = email.utils.localtime(datetime.now())
    m["Subject"] = "test {}".format(i)
    m["Message-Id"] = email.utils.make_msgid(idstring = "test.{}".format(i))
    m.set_content("test {}".format(i))
    mb.add(m)
EOF
python3.6 /tmp/test.py
notmuch new
rm -r test
notmuch new
---

	--qsx

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Display update bug in notmuch new
@ 2021-12-23 13:17 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-12-23 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schneider, notmuch

Thomas Schneider <qsx@chaotikum.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I discovered an issue in notmuch new: when deleting a large amount of
> messages (so that it takes long and displays “$time remaining”), it does
> not clean the line afterwards:

Hi Thomas;

Thanks for the careful report, and sorry for not responding earlier. I
don't know if this is good news or bad, but I cannot reproduce the bug
with current notmuch. Things have changed with respect to deletions to
make them faster, so that may be why (no actual progress is shown for
me).

David\r