* How much is not much?
@ 2014-04-27 18:02 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2014-04-27 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

The last time I tried to run notmuch new on my incoming archive it
crashed the box.

But back then the archive was on an external drive, several usb-storage
and general usb bugs have been fixed since then, and my dives are all
internal now.

So it is time for another try.

But first, how much ram and disk should I expect to need, as a function
of the size of the maildir archive?

(It is a tree of dirs, with maildir dirs at the leaves.  OTOH 20+ M
messages and just under 256 Go, base on du(1).)

Trying to avoid data loss due to crashes...

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

* Re: How much is not much?
@ 2014-04-27 21:49 ` Michael Hudson-Doyle
From: Michael Hudson-Doyle @ 2014-04-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos, notmuch

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> The last time I tried to run notmuch new on my incoming archive it
> crashed the box.
>
> But back then the archive was on an external drive, several usb-storage
> and general usb bugs have been fixed since then, and my dives are all
> internal now.
>
> So it is time for another try.
>
> But first, how much ram and disk should I expect to need, as a function
> of the size of the maildir archive?
>
> (It is a tree of dirs, with maildir dirs at the leaves.  OTOH 20+ M
> messages and just under 256 Go, base on du(1).)
>
> Trying to avoid data loss due to crashes...

I can't answer to memory, but as a rule of thumb the notmuch database
seems to be around the same size as the mail it indexes.  I think by any
measure you have quite a lot of mail :-)

Cheers,
mwh