* help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?
@ 2021-01-07 17:59 jonathan
From: jonathan @ 2021-01-07 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi all,

Sorry in advance for what's likely a basic configuration question on the Emacs/notmuch side of things. I'd like to have a shortcut that goes into notmuch-tree from notmuch-hello. Following the docs & other configurations, it appears that :search-type 'tree' should work. An example from my configuration is below:

 (:name "inbox tree" :query "tag:inbox date:2021" :search-type 'tree :key "i")

This also appears to register properly with Emacs. Checking via the customization settings, the option of "tree" is properly ticked.  However, no matter what I do, the results always open in the standard configuration, not the tree.

I'm guessing this is a simple error of my own doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again to the developers for the amazing tools.

Best,

Jonathan

* Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?
@ 2021-01-07 19:36 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-01-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonathan, notmuch

jonathan@teamwilner.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry in advance for what's likely a basic configuration question on the Emacs/notmuch side of things. I'd like to have a shortcut that goes into notmuch-tree from notmuch-hello. Following the docs & other configurations, it appears that :search-type 'tree' should work. An example from my configuration is below:
>
>  (:name "inbox tree" :query "tag:inbox date:2021" :search-type 'tree :key "i")
>
> This also appears to register properly with Emacs. Checking via the customization settings, the option of "tree" is properly ticked.  However, no matter what I do, the results always open in the standard configuration, not the tree.
>
> I'm guessing this is a simple error of my own doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try without the ' in front of tree. At least if I use
customize-variable, I get :search-type tree, no quote.

* Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?
@ 2021-01-07 19:37   ` Jonathan Wilner
From: Jonathan Wilner @ 2021-01-07 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

Hi David,

I tried that as well when it hit the problem. I got the same result. :-(

@ 2021-01-08 13:54     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-01-08 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wilner; +Cc: notmuch

Jonathan Wilner <jonathan@teamwilner.com> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> I tried that as well when it hit the problem. I got the same result. :-(

Did you try using M-x customize-variable to make the change?

* Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?
@ 2021-01-08 15:44       ` Jonathan Wilner
From: Jonathan Wilner @ 2021-01-08 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

Great idea. I tried it and got the same result - not opening in Tree mode. :-(

@ 2021-01-08 15:50         ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2021-01-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wilner, David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

On Friday, 2021-01-08 at 07:44:45 -08, Jonathan Wilner wrote:

> Great idea. I tried it and got the same result - not opening in Tree mode. :-(

Please show us the (complete) value of your notmuch-saved-searches
variable.

You can get it by going to the *scratch* buffer and typing
notmuch-saved-searches, followed by control-j (sorry if that's obvious,
just wanted to be sure).

dme.
--
Oliver darling, call Mister Haney, I think our speakers are blown.

* Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?
@ 2021-01-08 16:58         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-01-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wilner; +Cc: notmuch

Jonathan Wilner <jonathan@teamwilner.com> writes:

> Great idea. I tried it and got the same result - not opening in Tree mode. :-(

Another possibly obvious point, are you sure it's not tree mode? It only
opens the thread window by default (so no split pane until you hit
return on a message)a. It does display a tree view of the threads, but
that might not be totally obvious if e.g. most threads have a single
message. The buffer name should start with "*notmuch-tree-" though, if
it really is in tree mode.

* Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?
@ 2021-01-08 17:16           ` Jonathan Wilner
From: Jonathan Wilner @ 2021-01-08 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch