* waiting tag
@ 2020-05-03 17:14 Chris Tennant
From: Chris Tennant @ 2020-05-03 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I would like to have emails that I am waiting on a response for to have a
special tag that is removed once I get a reply.  There are other products
that do this, but I would much rather do it all from NotMuchMail.

---
Chris Tennant

* Re: waiting tag
@ 2020-05-03 20:37 ` Keegan Carruthers-Smith
From: Keegan Carruthers-Smith @ 2020-05-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tennant, notmuch

Chris Tennant <Chris_07@witeshadow.com> writes:

> I would like to have emails that I am waiting on a response for to have a
> special tag that is removed once I get a reply.  There are other products
> that do this, but I would much rather do it all from NotMuchMail.

You can add a "post-new" hook which does this. Assuming you are use
"waiting" as the special tag and notmuch's default "new" tag this could work
for you:

  notmuch tag -waiting -- tag:waiting and 'thread:{tag:new}'

Just ensure you are clearing out the new tag to get the correct
behaviour. For example by running "notmuch tag -new -- tag:new" at the
end of your post-new hook.

Cheers,
Keegan

* Re: waiting tag
@ 2020-05-04  7:25   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2020-05-04  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Keegan,
* Keegan Carruthers-Smith <keegan.csmith@gmail.com> [2020-05-03; 22:37]:
> Chris Tennant <Chris_07@witeshadow.com> writes:
>> I would like to have emails that I am waiting on a response for to have a
>> special tag that is removed once I get a reply.  There are other products
>> that do this, but I would much rather do it all from NotMuchMail.

I have the same need.

> You can add a "post-new" hook which does this. Assuming you are use
> "waiting" as the special tag and notmuch's default "new" tag this could work
> for you:
>
>   notmuch tag -waiting -- tag:waiting and 'thread:{tag:new}'

but this removes the waiting tag if there is some response
to some message in the thread, not necessary to the message
tagged waiting, isn't it?

Ciao; Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: waiting tag
@ 2020-05-21 21:37     ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2020-05-21 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler, notmuch

On Mon 2020-05-04 09:25:59 +0200, Gregor Zattler wrote:
> * Keegan Carruthers-Smith <keegan.csmith@gmail.com> [2020-05-03; 22:37]:
>>   notmuch tag -waiting -- tag:waiting and 'thread:{tag:new}'
>
> but this removes the waiting tag if there is some response
> to some message in the thread, not necessary to the message
> tagged waiting, isn't it?

Yes, you're right, this is not exactly the thing you were asking for.

fwiw, i don't know how to provide the thing you were asking for either
:(

        --dkg