Fellow hackers, So, I have always wondered why Notmuch uses the strangest buffer titles ever, and yesterday I decided to take a look under the hood... I found that the code in 'notmuch-search-buffer-title' defines and uses a pair of variables, named 'longest' and 'longest-length', but never sets the latter, which causes the strange buffer titles I observe. Please see the attached patch with a fix. P.S. I could not make the test suite work, not in the time I had for the fix, so ... see the test in the commit message. :) Rudy