* OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-09-23 15:04 Justin Pitts
From: Justin Pitts @ 2013-09-23 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

Recently, I attempted to update the OSX Homebrew package manager to notmuch
0.16. This version compiles without issue on my system, which is running
OSX 10.8.

I was informed by one of the Homebrew maintainers that 0.16 fails to
compile as-is on OSX 10.6 :
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/22731#issuecomment-24896941

The options here are
1. Leave homebrew's version of notmuch at 0.15.2
2. Update notmuch there to 0.16, with the caveat that it will not build on
OSX 10.6
3. Update notmuch to 0.16, along with necessary changes to make it build on
OSX 10.6

I'd attempt #3, but I lack a 10.6 system to try that on.

Does anyone have a way to accomplish #3?

Barring that, is there any objection to #2?

Thank you,
Justin Pitts

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-09-24 11:07 ` Guyzmo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Guyzmo @ 2013-09-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Pitts; +Cc: notmuch

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 08:04:32AM -0700, Justin Pitts wrote:
[...]
> The options here are
> 1. Leave homebrew's version of notmuch at 0.15.2
> 2. Update notmuch there to 0.16, with the caveat that it will not build on
> OSX 10.6
> 3. Update notmuch to 0.16, along with necessary changes to make it build on
> OSX 10.6

    and why not configure the homebrew formula for notmuch to also offer
0.15.2,  and  install  that  version  on  10.6.*  systems,  while  still
installing 0.16 (and HEAD) on 10.8 systems? That'd make a good 4. imho!

HTH,

--
Guyzmo

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-09-24 13:30 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2013-09-24 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Pitts, notmuch

On Mon, Sep 23 2013, Justin Pitts <justinpitts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently, I attempted to update the OSX Homebrew package manager to notmuch
> 0.16. This version compiles without issue on my system, which is running
> OSX 10.8.

I would blame David:

git show be96004b7ddf39441304938bbaf7ee61798c0d10
git show 51b14fb3c3a3cfdfa6b29d8309aaa6cbe82cedda

$ git describe be96004b
debian/0.15.2-2-157-gbe96004
$ git describe 51b14fb3
debian/0.15.2-2-156-g51b14fb

... I don't know why these would break it, just my best guess...

Tomi

> I was informed by one of the Homebrew maintainers that 0.16 fails to
> compile as-is on OSX 10.6 :
> https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/22731#issuecomment-24896941
>
> The options here are
> 1. Leave homebrew's version of notmuch at 0.15.2
> 2. Update notmuch there to 0.16, with the caveat that it will not build on
> OSX 10.6
> 3. Update notmuch to 0.16, along with necessary changes to make it build on
> OSX 10.6
>
> I'd attempt #3, but I lack a 10.6 system to try that on.
>
> Does anyone have a way to accomplish #3?
>
> Barring that, is there any objection to #2?
>
> Thank you,
> Justin Pitts

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-09-24 14:07 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-09-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Pitts, notmuch

Justin Pitts <justinpitts@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Recently, I attempted to update the OSX Homebrew package manager to notmuch
> 0.16. This version compiles without issue on my system, which is running
> OSX 10.8.
>
> I was informed by one of the Homebrew maintainers that 0.16 fails to
> compile as-is on OSX 10.6 :
> https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/22731#issuecomment-24896941
>
> The options here are
> 1. Leave homebrew's version of notmuch at 0.15.2
> 2. Update notmuch there to 0.16, with the caveat that it will not build on
> OSX 10.6
> 3. Update notmuch to 0.16, along with necessary changes to make it build on
> OSX 10.6

Well, I'd say it's up to you guys what you want to do; I'd reccomend
against 1 just in case there are future security fixes.

If you want help debugging why it doesn't work on a particular version
of MacOS, then I'd suggest sending (a link to) a complete build log and
all of the versions of the relevant tools and packages to the list. I
still can't promise anything, but maybe somebody will spot what's going
wrong.

Unfortunately we don't have any MacOS users very involved with notmuch
development, so these issues tend to be a bit slow to resolve.

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-09-24 14:13   ` Justin Pitts
From: Justin Pitts @ 2013-09-24 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guyzmo; +Cc: notmuch

Replying all this time.

Hi Guyzmo,

Thank you for responding.

>    and why not configure the homebrew formula for notmuch to also offer
> 0.15.2,  and  install  that  version  on  10.6.*  systems,  while  still
> installing 0.16 (and HEAD) on 10.8 systems? That'd make a good 4. imho!

I agree with you. In fact, that is what I should have said for #2.

Looking at the Homebrew formula for git [1], it appears that it ought to be
possible to do.

[1] https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/master/Library/Formula/git.rb

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Guyzmo <guyzmo+notmuch@m0g.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 08:04:32AM -0700, Justin Pitts wrote:
> [...]
> > The options here are
> > 1. Leave homebrew's version of notmuch at 0.15.2
> > 2. Update notmuch there to 0.16, with the caveat that it will not build
> on
> > OSX 10.6
> > 3. Update notmuch to 0.16, along with necessary changes to make it build
> on
> > OSX 10.6
>
>     and why not configure the homebrew formula for notmuch to also offer
> 0.15.2,  and  install  that  version  on  10.6.*  systems,  while  still
> installing 0.16 (and HEAD) on 10.8 systems? That'd make a good 4. imho!
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Guyzmo

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-09-24 14:14   ` Justin Pitts
From: Justin Pitts @ 2013-09-24 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

I will see if I can get that info for you, David.

This isn't a time-sensitive issue, at least for me. I'm on OSX 10.8, and I
have no trouble installing 0.16.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:

> Justin Pitts <justinpitts@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently, I attempted to update the OSX Homebrew package manager to
> notmuch
> > 0.16. This version compiles without issue on my system, which is running
> > OSX 10.8.
> >
> > I was informed by one of the Homebrew maintainers that 0.16 fails to
> > compile as-is on OSX 10.6 :
> > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/22731#issuecomment-24896941
> >
> > The options here are
> > 1. Leave homebrew's version of notmuch at 0.15.2
> > 2. Update notmuch there to 0.16, with the caveat that it will not build
> on
> > OSX 10.6
> > 3. Update notmuch to 0.16, along with necessary changes to make it build
> on
> > OSX 10.6
>
> Well, I'd say it's up to you guys what you want to do; I'd reccomend
> against 1 just in case there are future security fixes.
>
> If you want help debugging why it doesn't work on a particular version
> of MacOS, then I'd suggest sending (a link to) a complete build log and
> all of the versions of the relevant tools and packages to the list. I
> still can't promise anything, but maybe somebody will spot what's going
> wrong.
>
> Unfortunately we don't have any MacOS users very involved with notmuch
> development, so these issues tend to be a bit slow to resolve.

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-10-09 14:46 ` ngreply
From: ngreply @ 2013-10-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

do not know, if it's done right, but this patch fixed my compilation of
notmuch-0.16 on OSX 10.6:

diff Makefile.local.org Makefile.local
287c287
< 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@
---
> 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
> util/libutil.a $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@

The same error about missing symbols while compiling target notmuch-shared
came up when I've tried to install notmuch via Macports.

  Thanks to all contributors for this great tool.

  Regards,

  Oliver

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-10-09 15:18   ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2013-10-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ngreply, notmuch

On Wed, Oct 09 2013, ngreply <ngreply@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> do not know, if it's done right, but this patch fixed my compilation of
> notmuch-0.16 on OSX 10.6:
>
> diff Makefile.local.org Makefile.local
> 287c287
> < 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
> $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@
> ---
>> 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
>> util/libutil.a $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@

That is interesting; FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS is defined as

FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS = $(LDFLAGS) -Lutil -lutil -Llib -lnotmuch ...

(and, in my linux environment LDFLAGS is defined as empty string)

In ./lib we have libnotmuch.a & libnotmuch.so but in ./util we (only)
have libutil.a -- for some reason OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) gcc (4.2.x IIRC)
doesn't use the static library ?

Well, IMO having that util/libutil.a there is a tolerable workaround to get
notmuch 0.16 available in OSX 10.6...

Tomi

> The same error about missing symbols while compiling target notmuch-shared
> came up when I've tried to install notmuch via Macports.
>
>   Thanks to all contributors for this great tool.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Oliver

* Re: OSX 10.6 support
@ 2013-10-09 16:07     ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2013-10-09 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ngreply, notmuch

On Wed, Oct 09 2013, Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09 2013, ngreply <ngreply@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> do not know, if it's done right, but this patch fixed my compilation of
>> notmuch-0.16 on OSX 10.6:
>>
>> diff Makefile.local.org Makefile.local
>> 287c287
>> < 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
>> $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@
>> ---
>>> 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
>>> util/libutil.a $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@
>>

> That is interesting; FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS is defined as
>
> FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS = $(LDFLAGS) -Lutil -lutil -Llib -lnotmuch ...
>
> (and, in my linux environment LDFLAGS is defined as empty string)
>
> In ./lib we have libnotmuch.a & libnotmuch.so but in ./util we (only)
> have libutil.a -- for some reason OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) gcc (4.2.x IIRC)
> doesn't use the static library ?
>
> Well, IMO having that util/libutil.a there is a tolerable workaround to get
> notmuch 0.16 available in OSX 10.6...

... I mean patching the (Make)file(.local) before compiling in OSX 10.6, not
committing this particular change to notmuch git.

> Tomi

Tomi