On Friday, 2018-12-21 at 11:54:46 GMT, David Edmondson wrote: > On Thursday, 2018-12-20 at 07:00:08 -07, Nicolas Bock wrote: > >> sorry I didn't explain my problem very well. What I am looking for >> is to reflow (to borrow a term from NeoMutt [1]) an email message >> that I am _reading_ to the buffer width. Currently format=flowed >> emails are simply shown as they are in the raw email body. Editing >> and sending emails in format=flowed works fine. > > Currently emacs doesn't know that the text/plain part has the > format=flowed attribute, so it can't do anything about it. > > Two options occur to me: > - ensure that emacs knows the attributes of the part so that it could be > extended to do something useful, Here's a hacky patch that takes this approach. Does it do what you would expect? A complication is the indentation of parts, which makes it hard to set a good value for `fill-flowed-display-column' (because you don't know the indentation depth). A wash function (which would be the cleaner approach, presuming that we passed the part to all wash functions) *does* know the indentation depth, and so could perhaps adjust the value of `fill-flowed-encode-column' appropriately.