* feature request: notmuch-show-print-message w/prefix to print PS to file
@ 2022-08-26 16:05 Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2022-08-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I'd like to request a feature. My intent is to redirect PostScript
printing of a message via `notmuch-show-print-message` to a file.
Ideally (IMHO) `notmuch-show-print-message` would accept an optional
prefix argument ("C-u"), which would be passed down to
`ps-print-buffer`, which would then prompt me for the name of the file,
and save the PS to that file.

This would be specific to ps-print, and does not make sense for lpr
printing, of course.

Many thanks and looking forward to your thoughts,

  --alexander

* Re: feature request: notmuch-show-print-message w/prefix to print PS to file
@ 2022-09-05 11:26 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2022-09-05 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf, notmuch

Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to request a feature. My intent is to redirect PostScript
> printing of a message via `notmuch-show-print-message` to a file.
> Ideally (IMHO) `notmuch-show-print-message` would accept an optional
> prefix argument ("C-u"), which would be passed down to
> `ps-print-buffer`, which would then prompt me for the name of the file,
> and save the PS to that file.
>
> This would be specific to ps-print, and does not make sense for lpr
> printing, of course.

One workaround is to set notmuch-print-mechanism to
notmuch-print-ps-print/evince, and save the file from evince.

* Re: feature request: notmuch-show-print-message w/prefix to print PS to file
@ 2022-09-05 13:41   ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2022-09-05 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> [...]
> One workaround is to set notmuch-print-mechanism to
> notmuch-print-ps-print/evince, and save the file from evince.

In principle yes, but this requires a specific third party app to be
installed.

We have all necessary means built into Emacs already, so it would be
nice being able to achieve this with the available on-board means only.