Perhaps a case for exec-path-from-shell [1]? [1] https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell --alex -- www.condition-alpha.com / @c_alpha Sent from my iPhone; apologies for brevity and autocorrect weirdness. > On 29. Dec 2022, at 14:20, David Bremner wrote: > > Boruch Baum writes: > >> I wasn't sure the best way to report a bug against it, so I hope by >> sending it to thislist it will find its proper home. > > Sure that's fine. Or report a debian bug using reportbug, which saves > you copying down the relevant versions. In particular it's possibly > relevant what version of emacs you are using. >> >> export NOTMUCH_CONFIG=$HOME/.config/notmuch/notmuch.conf >> >> With this setting, I successfully set-up notmuch, created a database, >> and searched it from the command-line. However, from within emacs, M-x >> notmuch-hello failed when it would internally send shell command: >> >> notmuch count --exclude=false >> >> The emacs shell-command error buffer would report "Error: cannot load >> config file". From outside emacs, that shell command *would* succeed. > > I wasn't able to duplicate this (I'm running the debian packages and > emacs 28). > > 1) As a first step, try M-x getenv NOTMUCH_CONFIG > 2) Just to confirm, you're not doing anything fancy with shell wrappers for > either emacs or notmuch, are you? >> >> What did work for me was to create a default profile folder and move >> the config file there. >> >> export NOTMUCH_CONFIG="" > > Being set to the empty string is not the same as being unset from > notmuch's point of view. So maybe try unset instead. Empty string means > no config file is searched for or loaded. > >> mkdir ~/.config/notmuch/default >> mv ~/.config/notmuch/{notmuch.conf,default/config} >> >> But then, in order to be able to continue to use notmuch from the >> command-line I needed to perform >> >> export NOTMUCH_CONFIG=$HOME/.config/notmuch/default/config >> >> So it looks like the elisp package isn't checking the file location >> precedence mentioned in the man pages. > > That definitely should not be the case, but may be potentially related > to having NOTMUCH_CONFIG="". > > _______________________________________________ > notmuch mailing list -- notmuch@notmuchmail.org > To unsubscribe send an email to notmuch-leave@notmuchmail.org