* Batch tagging - add id_list as tag possible?
@ 2013-03-02 15:35 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-03-02 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Hi

I would like to tag my mails automatically by using the id_list as the tag
name, but as far as I can se in the manual, this is not possible yet. Is
this true?

It would be great if I could have
+%id_list

And it would automatically tag my mails with the list I'd?

At the moment I am using afew for that (and only that - I don't need spam
filtering (gmail is quite good with that) and also the other filters are
not of much use for me at the moment), but if notmuch could do this, I
could save one step ( and program to keep up to date).

Cheers,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Batch tagging - add id_list as tag possible?
@ 2013-03-02 16:13 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-03-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I would like to tag my mails automatically by using the id_list as the tag
> name, but as far as I can se in the manual, this is not possible yet. Is
> this true?

That's correct.

> It would be great if I could have
> +%id_list
>
> And it would automatically tag my mails with the list I'd?

It should be possible to script that, using e.g. formail to extract the
list id. Be aware that the list-id header is often not really suitable
for use as a tag, since it has quotes, spaces, and various punctuation
in it. I guess you can make that work if you really want to.

* Re: Batch tagging - add id_list as tag possible?
@ 2013-03-02 19:24   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-03-02 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

On Saturday, March 2, 2013, David Bremner wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com <javascript:;>> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to tag my mails automatically by using the id_list as the
> tag
> > name, but as far as I can se in the manual, this is not possible yet. Is
> > this true?
> >

> That's correct.

Really a pity.

> > It would be great if I could have
> > +%id_list
> >
> > And it would automatically tag my mails with the list I'd?
>
> It should be possible to script that, using e.g. formail to extract the
> list id.

But this would be done outside the batch tagging - correct?

I think tagging based on a header would be a powerful and useful feature,
especially for tagging of lists.

I mean, if the script would be complex, it might be easier to use afew.

Be aware that the list-id header is often not really suitable
> for use as a tag, since it has quotes, spaces, and various punctuational
> in it. I guess you can make that work if you really want to.

A cleaning would then be necessary, but it is not relevant to have the
exact header as the tag.

@ 2013-03-02 20:21     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-03-02 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, March 2, 2013, David Bremner wrote:

>> > It would be great if I could have
>> > +%id_list
>> >
>> > And it would automatically tag my mails with the list I'd?
>>
>> It should be possible to script that, using e.g. formail to extract the
>> list id.
>
> But this would be done outside the batch tagging - correct?

Yes

> I think tagging based on a header would be a powerful and useful feature,
> especially for tagging of lists.

I don't know about your use case, but I think for most people being able
to search on more headers (including e.g. List-Id) would be convenient
replacement for such "autotagging". This is something that many people
have requested/talked-about, but so far nobody has done the work.