I'm using gccemcs under WSL2 and trying to switch from mu4e to notmuch. One thing I immediately like about notmuch is that it's much more faster than mu4e. But I also almost immediately ran into some issues. The one that bothers me the most is, when I hit ENTER to open a long thread from notmuch-search mode, it takes a very long time to load. Sometimes, this can take 30 seconds or more. My understanding is that notmuch needs to load all the messages (in my case, I tried threads with 20+ messages), and the default shr renderer is not great at dealing with large amount of data. After some research, I found that setting mm-text-html-renderer to links would reduce the load time from to around 2 seconds or less. But one small issue with this is some characters are not displayed correctly, for example the RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, which would be displayed as \342\200\231 A bit more research lead me to the toggle-enable-multibyte-characters function, I found that if I invoke this function twice interactively, the display would be fixed. I guess my question is, how do I make notmuch-show display characters like RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK correctly when I use links as html renderer? And why would invoking toggle-enable-multibyte-characters fix the issue?