Hi Floris and others, I made another attempt at porting lieer to notmuch2, but I am missing the get_directory method still. Any plans to look at it? Regards, Gaute On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 6:14 PM Floris Bruynooghe wrote: > Hi Gaute, > > Thanks for trying this out! > > On Mon 04 Nov 2019 at 11:27 +0100, Gaute Hope wrote: > > I just checked out the wip/cffi branch on git.notmuch.org with the > > purpose of porting Lieer (https://github.com/gauteh/lieer). There > > seems to be some missing functionality: `Database.get_directory()` > > specifically. > > Yeah, I didn't add that yet because I don't fully understand how it > should be used. Specifically I don't know where one might get a > pathname from to pass to .get_directory() and thus whether the API would > be cleaner to just return a reasonable directory object from whatever > location that might be. Maybe notmuch_database_get_path() is the only > entrypoint here and you can get further by listing files and directories > from it? But maybe people then use the filesystem directly to find a > directory and create the directories ad-hoc. > > I grepped lieer but I think you only use it in one place? And if I > understand it correctly you only do this to check if your mailstore/cwd > is inside the notmuch database. I.e. this is equivalent to checking if > your mailstore/cwd has notmuch2.Database.path as prefix which you could > easily do directly rather than using the FileError exception from > .get_directory(). > > So is anyone else aware of some code which uses db.get_directory() to > give an idea of how and why this is used? > > > I also ran into a couple of warning when building > > (included below). > > Thanks for pointing these out. I guess if the bindings are in the main > repo only the latest library version can be supported without any > further concerns. > > > By the way, it does not seem that the API is very far from the > > previous python API. If it is close enough, perhaps it is possible to > > get away with a bug version bump in the bindings rather than creating > > a new package. I understand the need for a new package, but it would > > be nice if we could avoid the future confusion of two python binding > > packages (if at all possible). > > While I'm glad to hear that you think a migration wouldn't be to painful > for you I am very weary of knowingly breaking APIs. I'd rather have > people have an easy migration rather than unexpected breakage after an > upgrade. > > > Cheers, > Floris >