* github mirror
@ 2014-04-27 11:09 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-04-27 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Dear NotMuch,

I have just started using notmuch and I really love it! I've been using
web interfaces and proprietary mail clients for almost a decade and mutt
before that (because I never got on well with rmail or gnus). Now, I'm
trying to get all my life-hacker aficionados to follow suit.

I was wanting to submit an RFE for you and to browse your source code to
see how hard it would be to implement, but I was disappointed that it is
all hosted on your own git repository with no issue tracker.

While I appreciate that you probably use notmuch as your work flow
manager, it is also quite common to use a social website such as github
or getsatisfaction to interface with users. In my experience, github
dramatically increases the number of contributions from users, in the
form of what github calls "pull requests" (if you're a git user but not
a github user, the term is confusing).

Would it be possible to have a github project for notmuch? I'm certain
the git repositories could be synchronised easily.

A bridge between github's issue tracker and notmuch would be entirely
possible: they have an API that would allow addition and removal of
tags, as well as editing tickets. Actually, I would probably use such a
thing :-)

But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
multiple machines.

It would also allow applications like offlineimap to introduce a gmail
plugin that would copy the message into a folder according to its tags,
so gmail labels and notmuch tags would be in sync.

Best regards,
Sam

[-- Attachment #2.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 197 bytes --]

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-27 16:16 ` Jani Nikula
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jani Nikula @ 2014-04-27 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday, notmuch

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just started using notmuch and I really love it! I've been using
> web interfaces and proprietary mail clients for almost a decade and mutt
> before that (because I never got on well with rmail or gnus). Now, I'm
> trying to get all my life-hacker aficionados to follow suit.

Great, glad you like it!

> I was wanting to submit an RFE for you and to browse your source code to
> see how hard it would be to implement, but I was disappointed that it is
> all hosted on your own git repository with no issue tracker.

You can browse the source code online at [1], and see the issues and
patches tracked at [2] (details at [3]). When you're developing an email
tool, all the problems start looking like email. You've just submitted
an issue by writing email. ;)

[1] http://git.notmuchmail.org/git/notmuch
[2] http://nmbug.tethera.net/status/
[3] http://notmuchmail.org/nmbug/

> While I appreciate that you probably use notmuch as your work flow
> manager, it is also quite common to use a social website such as github
> or getsatisfaction to interface with users. In my experience, github
> dramatically increases the number of contributions from users, in the
> form of what github calls "pull requests" (if you're a git user but not
> a github user, the term is confusing).

Unsurprisingly, we use mailing list based review of patches contributed
by email, and tracked similar to the issues. (The Notmuch Emacs
interface is rather well suited for handling emailed patches.)
Personally I don't think github pull requests would sit well with the
review work flow. We also maintain fairly high standards for the
contributions we accept, so the review has a significant role in the
process.

> Would it be possible to have a github project for notmuch? I'm certain
> the git repositories could be synchronised easily.

This part is trivial, but on its own it doesn't provide any obvious
benefits.

> A bridge between github's issue tracker and notmuch would be entirely
> possible: they have an API that would allow addition and removal of
> tags, as well as editing tickets. Actually, I would probably use such a
> thing :-)

I'm sure all of this would be entirely possible; I'm not so sure it
would be worth the effort. But hey, if someone is willing to do the
work, patches are welcome. By email. ;)

BR,
Jani.

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-27 19:04 ` David Mazieres
From: David Mazieres @ 2014-04-27 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday, notmuch

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear NotMuch,
>
> But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
> an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
> itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
> would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
> for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
> multiple machines.

The problem is that different imap servers store tags in different
ways.  Since notmuch does not use imap, it would be hard for notmuch to
synchronize the tags, other than the standard ones (for which notmuch
already has support).

One thing you could do is build an external tool that synchronizes
notmuch tags and spawns an imap server in preauth mode to sync the tags.
(That would be yet another use for the ctime values we have discussed on
this list.)

> It would also allow applications like offlineimap to introduce a gmail
> plugin that would copy the message into a folder according to its tags,
> so gmail labels and notmuch tags would be in sync.

Unfortunately, offlineimap is dog slow, especially when you have a ton
of maildirs.  It just doesn't seem to pipeline very well at all.  Even
when I run 5 or 10 threads, it still seems to take a whole bunch of
round trip times.

I used to want what you want.  But then it got to the point that
offlineimap was taking 30 seconds to sync my 60 maildirs over 3G, even
when there was no new mail.  Worse, one thread seems to busy-wait for
the others to finish, so it often pegs the CPU and drains the battery on
my laptop.

As a result, I built a tool that synchronizes notmuch tags directly.
Now my problem is waiting for "notmuch new" to run, but at least the
synchronization part is really fast and pleasant.  I'll be releasing my
tool in the next couple of months once I've kicked the tires a bit more
and fixed up a few things.

David

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-27 19:33   ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-04-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mazieres expires 2014-07-26 PDT, notmuch

David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch@scs.stanford.edu> writes:
> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
>> But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
>> an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
>> itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
>> would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
>> for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
>> multiple machines.
>
> The problem is that different imap servers store tags in different
> ways.  Since notmuch does not use imap, it would be hard for notmuch to
> synchronize the tags, other than the standard ones (for which notmuch
> already has support).
>
> One thing you could do is build an external tool that synchronizes
> notmuch tags and spawns an imap server in preauth mode to sync the tags.
> (That would be yet another use for the ctime values we have discussed on
> this list.)

The improvements to offlineimap to use the mail header hack might work
well for both of us. Currently the only way to add/remove "labels" (a
gmail concept) is to copy/move mail between folders. And this is how
notmuch "tags" are synced. But with outstanding pull request, this can
all be managed via email headers and that means you *only* need to
synchronise your "All Mail" folder.

So, I'd be interested to see what your code could do in that world :-)

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-27 19:45     ` David Mazieres expires 2014-07-26 PDT
From: David Mazieres expires 2014-07-26 PDT @ 2014-04-27 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday, notmuch

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch@scs.stanford.edu> writes:
>> The problem is that different imap servers store tags in different
>> ways.  Since notmuch does not use imap, it would be hard for notmuch to
>> synchronize the tags, other than the standard ones (for which notmuch
>> already has support).
>>
>> One thing you could do is build an external tool that synchronizes
>> notmuch tags and spawns an imap server in preauth mode to sync the tags.
>> (That would be yet another use for the ctime values we have discussed on
>> this list.)
>
> The improvements to offlineimap to use the mail header hack might work
> well for both of us. Currently the only way to add/remove "labels" (a
> gmail concept) is to copy/move mail between folders. And this is how
> notmuch "tags" are synced. But with outstanding pull request, this can
> all be managed via email headers and that means you *only* need to
> synchronise your "All Mail" folder.
>
> So, I'd be interested to see what your code could do in that world :-)

My code assumes shell access to your mail server, so it doesn't do squat
in the gmail world.  I suppose you could use gmail just as your SMTP
server, then download everything to your own server with offlineimap and
manage it with notmuch there, in which case my code gives you the
notmuch experience on all your devices.  However, there's a much better
SMTP server out than what google is running (www.mailavenger.org), so
such a setups is backwards... The right thing to do is to receive
everything on a mail server that you control, then push to gmail only
what you want to read on your phone and/or disclose to the NSA (which in
my case is only a tiny fraction of my email).

David

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-27 22:37 ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2014-04-27 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: notmuch

Quoth Sam Halliday on Apr 27 at 12:09 pm:
> But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
> an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
> itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
> would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
> for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
> multiple machines.
>
> It would also allow applications like offlineimap to introduce a gmail
> plugin that would copy the message into a folder according to its tags,
> so gmail labels and notmuch tags would be in sync.

FWIW, we've discussed being able to configure a bi-directional mapping
between folders and notmuch tags, using hard links (or simply message
copies) to map messages with multiple tags to multiple file system
folders.  There's been some prototyping [1], though no serious code.
If this did happen, you'd be able to sync Gmail labels with notmuch
tags without any help from OfflineIMAP (OfflineIMAP could perform
better and use less disk space if it knew how to set up hard links
when talking to Gmail, but this would be entirely independent of
notmuch).  You might also be able to work out cross-device sync, using
IMAP folder synchronization as a channel for tag synchronization.

As for storing this information directly in messages, in general, the
notmuch community is opposed to modifying messages.  This causes many
problems, and immutable messages are more robust and simplify so many
things.  IMAP assumes messages are immutable.  Maildir assumes
messages are immutable.  Notmuch new would get dramatically slower if
it had to check for messages modifications.  What do you do if you
change a tag and there are multiple copies of a message?  What do you
do if there are multiple copies and they disagree about the tags?  How
do you atomically update the tags stored in a message?  From an
engineering standpoint, it's much better to avoid mutable messages.

[1] id:874nk8v9zw.fsf@zancas.localnet

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-28  5:29   ` David Mazieres
From: David Mazieres @ 2014-04-28  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Clements, Sam Halliday; +Cc: notmuch

Austin Clements <amdragon@MIT.EDU> writes:

> As for storing this information directly in messages, in general, the
> notmuch community is opposed to modifying messages.  This causes many
> problems, and immutable messages are more robust and simplify so many
> things.  IMAP assumes messages are immutable.  Maildir assumes
> messages are immutable.  Notmuch new would get dramatically slower if
> it had to check for messages modifications.  What do you do if you
> change a tag and there are multiple copies of a message?  What do you
> do if there are multiple copies and they disagree about the tags?  How
> do you atomically update the tags stored in a message?  From an
> engineering standpoint, it's much better to avoid mutable messages.

The speed penalty would be very minor in the common case.  Muchsync
scans directories (since it has to scan file contents) and the cost to
compute SHA-1 hashes of modified files is under 50 msec or something in
the common case.  Extracting tags would be even cheaper.  The reason is
that A) you only need to scan modified directories, and B) you don't
need to open the file unless the inode, mtime, or size has changed.
Originally I was going to implement an optimization to detect renamed
files and avoid computing SHA-1 again (for the case where maildir flags
have changed), but in the end this wasn't even worth it because the cost
is so small.

That said, I agree that the complexity of altering files is not worth
it.  Especially since most imap servers will not know about this.  Also,
the question of what do you do with duplicate message IDs (which is
effectively what you have when the tags disagree) is a more general
problem still needing a solution, and would be exacerbated by embedding
important information like tags in the message.

Really what you want is an imap server built on top of the notmuch
library.  That way you could use notmuch from your desktop and then use
imap from your phone, and everything would stay perfectly in sync.
Implementing such a server wouldn't be that hard, but it would help if
notmuch made the _notmuch_message_get_doc_id and
_notmuch_directory_get_document_id functions semi-public.  Then the imap
server could just use docids as uids.  (Plus then muchsync wouldn't have
to go through gross contortions to get docids information...)

David

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-28  7:25   ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-04-28  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Clements; +Cc: notmuch

Austin Clements writes:
> Quoth Sam Halliday on Apr 27 at 12:09 pm:
>> But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
>> an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
>> itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
>> would make the tags available on all devices.
>
> FWIW, we've discussed being able to configure a bi-directional mapping
> between folders and notmuch tags, using hard links (or simply message
> copies) to map messages with multiple tags to multiple file system
> folders.  There's been some prototyping [1], though no serious code.
> If this did happen, you'd be able to sync Gmail labels with notmuch
> tags without any help from OfflineIMAP (OfflineIMAP could perform
> better and use less disk space if it knew how to set up hard links
> when talking to Gmail, but this would be entirely independent of
> notmuch).  You might also be able to work out cross-device sync, using
> IMAP folder synchronization as a channel for tag synchronization.

I am extremely interested in the progress of this. Please keep me
updated if anything moves in this area. Hard links are a secondary
concern (that could be independently scripted if memory is an issue, and
is only worth the effort if the label and tag syncing works).

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-28  7:44     ` Gaute Hope
From: Gaute Hope @ 2014-04-28  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Excerpts from David Mazieres's message of 2014-04-28 07:29:06 +0200:
> Austin Clements <amdragon@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
> > As for storing this information directly in messages, in general, the
> > notmuch community is opposed to modifying messages.  This causes many
> > problems, and immutable messages are more robust and simplify so many
> > things.  IMAP assumes messages are immutable.  Maildir assumes
> > messages are immutable.  Notmuch new would get dramatically slower if
> > it had to check for messages modifications.  What do you do if you
> > change a tag and there are multiple copies of a message?  What do you
> > do if there are multiple copies and they disagree about the tags?  How
> > do you atomically update the tags stored in a message?  From an
> > engineering standpoint, it's much better to avoid mutable messages.
>
> The speed penalty would be very minor in the common case.  Muchsync
> scans directories (since it has to scan file contents) and the cost to
> compute SHA-1 hashes of modified files is under 50 msec or something in
> the common case.  Extracting tags would be even cheaper.  The reason is
> that A) you only need to scan modified directories, and B) you don't
> need to open the file unless the inode, mtime, or size has changed.
> Originally I was going to implement an optimization to detect renamed
> files and avoid computing SHA-1 again (for the case where maildir flags
> have changed), but in the end this wasn't even worth it because the cost
> is so small.
>
> That said, I agree that the complexity of altering files is not worth
> it.  Especially since most imap servers will not know about this.  Also,
> the question of what do you do with duplicate message IDs (which is
> effectively what you have when the tags disagree) is a more general
> problem still needing a solution, and would be exacerbated by embedding
> important information like tags in the message.
>
> Really what you want is an imap server built on top of the notmuch
> library.  That way you could use notmuch from your desktop and then use
> imap from your phone, and everything would stay perfectly in sync.
> Implementing such a server wouldn't be that hard, but it would help if
> notmuch made the _notmuch_message_get_doc_id and
> _notmuch_directory_get_document_id functions semi-public.  Then the imap
> server could just use docids as uids.  (Plus then muchsync wouldn't have
> to go through gross contortions to get docids information...)

That would be nice, but a solution where the user does not need to run
his own server is in my opinion pretty essential.

- gaute

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-28  8:34       ` David Mazieres
From: David Mazieres @ 2014-04-28  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaute Hope, notmuch

Gaute Hope <eg@gaute.vetsj.com> writes:

>> Really what you want is an imap server built on top of the notmuch
>> library.  That way you could use notmuch from your desktop and then use
>> imap from your phone, and everything would stay perfectly in sync.
>> Implementing such a server wouldn't be that hard, but it would help if
>> notmuch made the _notmuch_message_get_doc_id and
>> _notmuch_directory_get_document_id functions semi-public.  Then the imap
>> server could just use docids as uids.  (Plus then muchsync wouldn't have
>> to go through gross contortions to get docids information...)
>
> That would be nice, but a solution where the user does not need to run
> his own server is in my opinion pretty essential.

You don't have to "run" an imap server, you can use it in preauth mode.
Having a notmuch-based imap server would let you synchronize gmail with
your laptop and then read email offline, for instance.

David

* Re: github mirror
@ 2014-04-28 18:55     ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-04-28 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mazieres expires 2014-07-26 PDT, Austin Clements; +Cc: notmuch

I have now tried mu4e and I don't like it nearly as much as notmuch, so
I'm sticking with this and aim to help out where notmuch falls short on
tag syncing between machines :-)

David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch@scs.stanford.edu> writes:
> the complexity of altering files is not worth it.

I agree. Immutability is a great thing. I like the proposed approach of
having a single "archive" Maildir folder (which notmuch really uses),
and then copying files into other folders to flag them as having a tag
or not (but these folders are not indexed by notmuch, avoiding
duplication problems).

It sounds like Gmail would play well with this setup and I assume most
IMAP servers will be smart enough to treat these as references to the
same immutable message. There is a potential persistent memory cost on
the client side due to the excessive copying, but somebody pointed out
that hard links would solve the problem locally. That just means the
IMAP sync applications just need to be a little smarter about how they
communicate with the server. I'm not averse to writing a tailored IMAP
syncing app, although it would be in a real language like Scala or
Haskell :-P Some sick part of me is also bizarrely intrigued by writing
it in elisp.

I am going on an extended holiday very shortly, but I hope one of you
does some more feasibility testing on this during that time: when I
return I will most likely help out with contributions.

> what you want is an imap server built on top of the notmuch library

That wouldn't appeal to me: I want to continue using my gmail account as
it is well integrated with a variety of other services, gratis and the
spam filtering is incredibly strong.

--
Best regards,
Sam

* Re: github mirror
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-11-21 13:48 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2015-11-21 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday, notmuch

Exceptionally top-posting as the rest is left just for reference
(for anyone interested and loosing the thread context)

Marking this as notmuch::fixed as

https://github.com/notmuch/notmuch

fixes this and is usually up-to-date (I use this link on one of my
notmuch installations)

Interestingly the wiki is also in github (just that it is updated
March 28 -- based on https://github.com/notmuch )

Tomi

On Sun, Apr 27 2014, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear NotMuch,
>
> I have just started using notmuch and I really love it! I've been using
> web interfaces and proprietary mail clients for almost a decade and mutt
> before that (because I never got on well with rmail or gnus). Now, I'm
> trying to get all my life-hacker aficionados to follow suit.
>
> I was wanting to submit an RFE for you and to browse your source code to
> see how hard it would be to implement, but I was disappointed that it is
> all hosted on your own git repository with no issue tracker.
>
> While I appreciate that you probably use notmuch as your work flow
> manager, it is also quite common to use a social website such as github
> or getsatisfaction to interface with users. In my experience, github
> dramatically increases the number of contributions from users, in the
> form of what github calls "pull requests" (if you're a git user but not
> a github user, the term is confusing).
>
> Would it be possible to have a github project for notmuch? I'm certain
> the git repositories could be synchronised easily.
>
> A bridge between github's issue tracker and notmuch would be entirely
> possible: they have an API that would allow addition and removal of
> tags, as well as editing tickets. Actually, I would probably use such a
> thing :-)
>
> But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
> an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
> itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
> would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
> for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
> multiple machines.
>
> It would also allow applications like offlineimap to introduce a gmail
> plugin that would copy the message into a folder according to its tags,
> so gmail labels and notmuch tags would be in sync.
>
> Best regards,
> Sam

* Re: github mirror
@ 2015-11-21 16:23   ` Wael M. Nasreddine
From: Wael M. Nasreddine @ 2015-11-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila; +Cc: Sam Halliday, notmuch

On Nov 21, 2015 5:48 AM, "Tomi Ollila" <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:

> Exceptionally top-posting as the rest is left just for reference
> (for anyone interested and loosing the thread context)
>
> Marking this as notmuch::fixed as
>
> https://github.com/notmuch/notmuch
>
> fixes this and is usually up-to-date (I use this link on one of my
> notmuch installations)
>
> Interestingly the wiki is also in github (just that it is updated
> March 28 -- based on https://github.com/notmuch )

Hi Tomi,

My syncer for the wiki might have died, I'll check on it today! If anyone
notice it falling out of sync please fell free to give me a shout.

> Tomi
>

> On Sun, Apr 27 2014, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear NotMuch,
> >
> > I have just started using notmuch and I really love it! I've been using
> > web interfaces and proprietary mail clients for almost a decade and mutt
> > before that (because I never got on well with rmail or gnus). Now, I'm
> > trying to get all my life-hacker aficionados to follow suit.
> >
> > I was wanting to submit an RFE for you and to browse your source code to
> > see how hard it would be to implement, but I was disappointed that it is
> > all hosted on your own git repository with no issue tracker.
> >
> > While I appreciate that you probably use notmuch as your work flow
> > manager, it is also quite common to use a social website such as github
> > or getsatisfaction to interface with users. In my experience, github
> > dramatically increases the number of contributions from users, in the
> > form of what github calls "pull requests" (if you're a git user but not
> > a github user, the term is confusing).
> >
> > Would it be possible to have a github project for notmuch? I'm certain
> > the git repositories could be synchronised easily.
> >
> > A bridge between github's issue tracker and notmuch would be entirely
> > possible: they have an API that would allow addition and removal of
> > tags, as well as editing tickets. Actually, I would probably use such a
> > thing :-)
> >
> > But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
> > an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
> > itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
> > would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
> > for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
> > multiple machines.
> >
> > It would also allow applications like offlineimap to introduce a gmail
> > plugin that would copy the message into a folder according to its tags,
> > so gmail labels and notmuch tags would be in sync.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Sam

* Re: github mirror
@ 2015-11-23  2:15     ` Wael M. Nasreddine
From: Wael M. Nasreddine @ 2015-11-23  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila; +Cc: Sam Halliday, notmuch

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Wael M. Nasreddine
<wael.nasreddine@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2015 5:48 AM, "Tomi Ollila" <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> wrote:
>>

>> Exceptionally top-posting as the rest is left just for reference
>> (for anyone interested and loosing the thread context)
>>
>> Marking this as notmuch::fixed as
>>
>> https://github.com/notmuch/notmuch
>>
>> fixes this and is usually up-to-date (I use this link on one of my
>> notmuch installations)
>>
>> Interestingly the wiki is also in github (just that it is updated
>> March 28 -- based on https://github.com/notmuch )
>
> Hi Tomi,
>
> My syncer for the wiki might have died, I'll check on it today! If anyone
> notice it falling out of sync please fell free to give me a shout.

It turns out that I forgot to set it up on my new server, it is now
setup and running.

>> Tomi
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 27 2014, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear NotMuch,
>> >
>> > I have just started using notmuch and I really love it! I've been using
>> > web interfaces and proprietary mail clients for almost a decade and mutt
>> > before that (because I never got on well with rmail or gnus). Now, I'm
>> > trying to get all my life-hacker aficionados to follow suit.
>> >
>> > I was wanting to submit an RFE for you and to browse your source code to
>> > see how hard it would be to implement, but I was disappointed that it is
>> > all hosted on your own git repository with no issue tracker.
>> >
>> > While I appreciate that you probably use notmuch as your work flow
>> > manager, it is also quite common to use a social website such as github
>> > or getsatisfaction to interface with users. In my experience, github
>> > dramatically increases the number of contributions from users, in the
>> > form of what github calls "pull requests" (if you're a git user but not
>> > a github user, the term is confusing).
>> >
>> > Would it be possible to have a github project for notmuch? I'm certain
>> > the git repositories could be synchronised easily.
>> >
>> > A bridge between github's issue tracker and notmuch would be entirely
>> > possible: they have an API that would allow addition and removal of
>> > tags, as well as editing tickets. Actually, I would probably use such a
>> > thing :-)
>> >
>> > But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
>> > an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
>> > itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
>> > would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
>> > for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
>> > multiple machines.
>> >
>> > It would also allow applications like offlineimap to introduce a gmail
>> > plugin that would copy the message into a folder according to its tags,
>> > so gmail labels and notmuch tags would be in sync.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Sam

Wael Nasreddine | Senior Full Stack Engineer at Dailymotion | (650) 933-3448