* emacs crashes
@ 2011-02-17  3:18 Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2011-02-17  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I have found certain emails, when I try to view them with the emacs
notmuch client, will cause emacs to crash (segmentation fault). Every
time, 100% reproducible.

A theory of have is maybe the emails are too big and the system can't cope, eg:

brian@aquitard:~$ notmuch show thread:00000000000104db | wc --bytes
943897
brian@aquitard:~$ notmuch show thread:000000000000fbab | wc --bytes
3262660
brian@aquitard:~$

These are emailed TSM Operational Reports, entirely ASCII (plus some
non-ASCII rubbish), no attachments, with a large number of log
entries.

An alternative theory is perhaps the non-ASCII rubbish (from weird
filenames some of our users have) is causing problems.

Anybody else experienced similar results?

Thanks
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

* Re: emacs crashes
@ 2011-02-18  8:38 ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2011-02-18  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian May, notmuch

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have found certain emails, when I try to view them with the emacs
> notmuch client, will cause emacs to crash (segmentation fault). Every
> time, 100% reproducible.
>
> A theory of have is maybe the emails are too big and the system can't cope, eg:
>
> brian@aquitard:~$ notmuch show thread:00000000000104db | wc --bytes
> 943897
> brian@aquitard:~$ notmuch show thread:000000000000fbab | wc --bytes
> 3262660
> brian@aquitard:~$
>
> These are emailed TSM Operational Reports, entirely ASCII (plus some
> non-ASCII rubbish), no attachments, with a large number of log
> entries.
>
> An alternative theory is perhaps the non-ASCII rubbish (from weird
> filenames some of our users have) is causing problems.
>
> Anybody else experienced similar results?

This should be already fixed -- see http://debbugs.gnu.org/6214. I'm not
sure whether the fix is available in an emacs release or only in the
development branch. It seems that Debian includes the fixes in its
packages (http://bugs.debian.org/586459).

-Michal

* Re: emacs crashes
@ 2011-02-20  0:54   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2011-02-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On 18 February 2011 19:38, Michal Sojka <sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
> This should be already fixed -- see http://debbugs.gnu.org/6214. I'm not
> sure whether the fix is available in an emacs release or only in the
> development branch. It seems that Debian includes the fixes in its
> packages (http://bugs.debian.org/586459).

Ok, that says it is fixed in version 23.2+1-5; Should be fixed in the
next release of Ubuntu.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/emacs23

Thanks for the references.
--