Hello, kindly find below a patch which I have been using in my local setup for about a year without seeing any hiccups. So I thought it would be worth proposing to the developers. The issue I saw with S/MIME encrypted messages was, that the processing of the MIME tree stopped after decryption. It turned out there was no handler for application/(x-)?pkcs-mime type entities in notmuch-show.el, and the "handler of last resort" notmuch-show-insert-part-*/* was called. Thus, this patch just adds a notmuch-show handler for application/(x-)?pkcs-mime type entities. RFC 8551 defines that there is a single child element only ("A body can consist of a single MIME entity or a tree of MIME entities (rooted with a multipart).", clause 3.1), hence no list processing of the children is needed (there's only one). Hoping to have helped, and looking forward to your thoughts, --alexander