* Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-15  5:23 mueen
From: mueen @ 2011-05-15  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

1. How do I see *all* the headers using the emacs interface? It shows me
only 4 headers.

2. Using the Python bindings, I want to do a query, get the messages,
and examine the headers of the messages. The problem is that if a
message is multi-part, then, I can't find any way to see the main
headers. I can only see the "headers" of each part. (I really would like
this working!)

3. Can I mark a bunch of messages for tagging in the Emacs interface? I
know I can tag all messages in a query, but sometimes I'd just like to
select a few manually and tag them (or apply some other command to
them).

Using notmuch 0.5-83-g74bc93f

Thanks.

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-15 16:50 ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2011-05-15 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mueen; +Cc: notmuch

On 05/15/2011 01:23 AM, mueen@nawaz.org wrote:
> 1. How do I see *all* the headers using the emacs interface? It shows me
> only 4 headers.

shift-v from within a "notmuch-show" buffer will show the entire source
of the message, including all headers.

i don't know the answers to your other questions, sorry!

regards,

	--dkg

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-15 17:15   ` mueen
From: mueen @ 2011-05-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> On 05/15/2011 01:23 AM, mueen@nawaz.org wrote:
>> 1. How do I see *all* the headers using the emacs interface? It shows me
>> only 4 headers.
>
> shift-v from within a "notmuch-show" buffer will show the entire source
> of the message, including all headers.

That did the trick - thanks!

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-15 21:56 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2011-05-15 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mueen, notmuch

Hi

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:23:16 -0700, mueen@nawaz.org wrote:

> 3. Can I mark a bunch of messages for tagging in the Emacs interface? I
> know I can tag all messages in a query, but sometimes I'd just like to
> select a few manually and tag them (or apply some other command to
> them).

I do not think that's possible at the moment but that could be quite
useful.

/Xavier

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-15 22:16   ` Jesse Rosenthal
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2011-05-15 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard, mueen, notmuch

On Sun, 15 May 2011 23:56:11 +0200, Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:23:16 -0700, mueen@nawaz.org wrote:
>
> > 3. Can I mark a bunch of messages for tagging in the Emacs interface? I
> > know I can tag all messages in a query, but sometimes I'd just like to
> > select a few manually and tag them (or apply some other command to
> > them).
>
> I do not think that's possible at the moment but that could be quite
> useful.

It's possible, and works the way you'd think it would -- just select a
bunch of threads in the search list, and then tag them. It will apply
the tag to the messages in the region. (In fact, tagging a single thread
is just a special case of this, with a one-line region.)

--Jesse

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-16  9:23 ` Sebastian Spaeth
From: Sebastian Spaeth @ 2011-05-16  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mueen, notmuch

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:23:16 -0700, mueen@nawaz.org wrote:
> 2. Using the Python bindings, I want to do a query, get the messages,
> and examine the headers of the messages. The problem is that if a
> message is multi-part, then, I can't find any way to see the main
> headers. I can only see the "headers" of each part. (I really would like
> this working!)

Python just does a notmuch_message_get_headers I believe, so it will
return whatever libnotmuch returns.

Sebastian

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-16 15:15     ` Daniel Schoepe
From: Daniel Schoepe @ 2011-05-16 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Rosenthal, Xavier Maillard, mueen, notmuch

On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:16:31 -0400, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal@jhu.edu> wrote:
> It's possible, and works the way you'd think it would -- just select a
> bunch of threads in the search list, and then tag them. It will apply
> the tag to the messages in the region. (In fact, tagging a single thread
> is just a special case of this, with a one-line region.)

I think this is only a subset of the requested functionality, since one
can only tag consecutive threads at once.

-- Daniel

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-16 15:27       ` Jesse Rosenthal
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2011-05-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Schoepe, Xavier Maillard, mueen, notmuch

Hi,

On Mon, 16 May 2011 17:15:17 +0200, Daniel Schoepe <daniel.schoepe@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think this is only a subset of the requested functionality, since one
> can only tag consecutive threads at once.

It seems like for non-consecutive messages to be tagged, there'd have to
be some sort of mutt-style message-marking facility. There was some
discussion when the feature was first introduced about whether to go
with region or marking. I think I wrote a quick version of both. (I just
checked -- that uncertainty is actually still there in the commit msg of
4c9585933 where the region feature comes in.)

The decision, if I remember correctly, was that regions are so intuitive
for emacs users, and many people reported trying to tag by region
without thinking about it, that this approach would make sense for the
emacs interface. In other words, keep the emacs interface emacsy. I
think I still agree with that, since I feel like having both would be
confusing (what do you do when you select a marked-line in a region?)
and I like the one I tend toward intuitively. But I certainly see the
benefit of the other functionality as well.

Best,
Jesse

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-16 16:29         ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2011-05-16 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Rosenthal, Daniel Schoepe, Xavier Maillard, mueen, notmuch

On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:27:52 -0400, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal@jhu.edu> wrote:
> The decision, if I remember correctly, was that regions are so intuitive
> for emacs users, and many people reported trying to tag by region
> without thinking about it, that this approach would make sense for the
> emacs interface. In other words, keep the emacs interface emacsy. I
> think I still agree with that, since I feel like having both would be
> confusing (what do you do when you select a marked-line in a region?)
> and I like the one I tend toward intuitively. But I certainly see the
> benefit of the other functionality as well.

I should mention that in my experience it's usually not that hard to
construct searches (or filters on searches) that pair down to just the
messages you want to tag, in which case you can just tag the entire
buffer.

jamie.

@ 2011-05-16 21:53           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2011-05-16 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins, Jesse Rosenthal, Daniel Schoepe, mueen,
	notmuch

Hi,

On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:29:19 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:27:52 -0400, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal@jhu.edu> wrote:
> > The decision, if I remember correctly, was that regions are so intuitive
> > for emacs users, and many people reported trying to tag by region
> > without thinking about it, that this approach would make sense for the
> > emacs interface. In other words, keep the emacs interface emacsy. I
> > think I still agree with that, since I feel like having both would be
> > confusing (what do you do when you select a marked-line in a region?)
> > and I like the one I tend toward intuitively. But I certainly see the
> > benefit of the other functionality as well.
>
> I should mention that in my experience it's usually not that hard to
> construct searches (or filters on searches) that pair down to just the
> messages you want to tag, in which case you can just tag the entire
> buffer.

That's true. I always end up doing that way. Though, many Gnus users are
used to mark and to massage all those messages at once, thus offering
this possibility could help.

/Xavier

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-17  4:36           ` Mueen Nawaz
From: Mueen Nawaz @ 2011-05-17  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Jameson Graef Rollins
<jrollins@finestructure.net> writes:

> On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:27:52 -0400, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal@jhu.edu> wrote:
>> The decision, if I remember correctly, was that regions are so intuitive
>> for emacs users, and many people reported trying to tag by region
>> without thinking about it, that this approach would make sense for the
>> emacs interface. In other words, keep the emacs interface emacsy. I
>> think I still agree with that, since I feel like having both would be
>> confusing (what do you do when you select a marked-line in a region?)
>> and I like the one I tend toward intuitively. But I certainly see the
>> benefit of the other functionality as well.
>
> I should mention that in my experience it's usually not that hard to
> construct searches (or filters on searches) that pair down to just the
> messages you want to tag, in which case you can just tag the entire
> buffer.

I guess so. I still haven't really switched to notmuch for real mail so
I have little experience. I don't quite remember why I would have found
it handy when I wrote it, but it was while I was busy experimenting with
tagging my existing archive.

* Re: Header and other questions
@ 2011-05-17 10:59           ` Florian Friesdorf
From: Florian Friesdorf @ 2011-05-17 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)