On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:05:32 -0400, Austin Clements wrote: > So what would be a good format? One possibility would be to > NULL-delimit the query part; as distasteful as I find that, this part > of the search output isn't meant for user consumption. Though I fear > this is endemic to the dual role the search output currently plays as > both user and computer readable. Perhaps we take a queue from xargs and have a command line switch for \n vs \0 output? --null -- 0 Input items are terminated by a null character instead of by whitespace, and the quotes and backslash are not special (every character is taken lit- erally).