From: Carl Worth <cworth@cworth.org>
To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>,
	Notmuch Mail <notmuch@notmuchmail.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 21:47:12 -0800	[thread overview]

On Sun, Feb 04 2018, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I did a bit of experimenting with Brian Sniffen's proposed notmuch-web
> branch, and it's now (temporarily) publishing a view of the notmuch
> mailing list here:
>
>     https://nmbug.notmuchmail.org/btsmail/

Thanks, Brian and Daniel!

When I first started on notmuch, I was hoping that one immediate benefit
would be that free-software projects could finally have working web
archives of their mailing lists, (without thread views breaking at
arbitrary boundaries such as months or years).

I guess the "immediate" aspect of my hope didn't play out so much, but I
am very excited to see this now. So, thanks again!

At first glance I saw "terms ... after ... before" and thought that the
after/before fields were for some sort of contextual context, but I
finally figured out what those were actually for. So maybe it would help
to add some text along the lines of "Limit to date range" or so.

And now that we have real date searching, it might make sense to use
that in the searching instead of the time stamp.

Another thing that might be nice for selecting dates ranges is the
ability to select something less precise than a particular day.

Searching for all the messages in a month with something like:

	notmuch search date:2018-01

or even a year with:

	notmuch search date:2018

is pretty darn convenient in notmuch, or even to search across two
months with:

	notmuch search date:2018-01..2018-02

It would be nice to not lose that kind of convenience in a web
interface.

Anyway, thanks again. This is looking great, and I will look forward to
entirely removing the pipermail-based archives from the website as soon
as we can.

-Carl