Alan Schmitt writes: > > The surprising thing is that there is not file > ~/.emacs-configs/doom-emacs/.local/straight/repos/notmuch/emacs/notmuch-version.el, > just a file > ~/.emacs-configs/doom-emacs/.local/straight/repos/notmuch/emacs/notmuch-version.el.tmpl > so this is probably why the global file is chosen. > > I have no idea why this is happening… It could be a doom or straight > bug… If you think so as well, I will report it. I think it is a bug in doom or straight, or at least an assumption that turns out to be wrong. They are assuming the elisp is runnable from git, but in fact it needs to run make to create notmuch-version.el. I think the straight recipe could specify a ":pre-build" step to build notmuch-version.el. I attach a Makefile snippet that shows how to build the file without running configure. You'd still need make, git, and sed.