* bug report: xapian error for message id with '..'
@ 2010-04-28 12:39 Jameson Rollins
From: Jameson Rollins @ 2010-04-28 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

I have received a message with a somewhat strange message Id that is
causing problems in notmuch:

Notmuch (or actually Xapian) seems to be interpreting the '..' as a
range operator, which it doesn't know how to handle:

0 servo$ notmuch search id:4bd73e8cb3d79_1a3c..fb637ff610e@skinner.tmail
A Xapian exception occurred performing query: Unknown range operation
Query string was: id:4bd73e8cb3d79_1a3c..fb637ff610e@skinner.tmail
0 servo$

This is causing problems for this message in the emacs UI as well.

Is it possible that the id string is not being properly quoted
internally?

jamie.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: bug report: xapian error for message id with '..'
@ 2010-04-28 22:41 ` Jameson Rollins
From: Jameson Rollins @ 2010-04-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

I have a followup on this report.  Olly suggested quoting the quoting of
the id, so that the quoting gets properly passed to Xapian, and that
seems to work:

0 servo:~ $ notmuch search id:'"4bd73e8cb3d79_1a3c..fb637ff610e@skinner.tmail"'
thread:000000000000c4cf  Yest. 15:44 [1/1] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
0 servo:~ $

So I think this means that the problem probably lies mostly in the emacs
UI not properly quoting the id string.  What originally got me on this
problem is that I was not able to manipulate the tag of this email from
within emacs.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:39:57 -0400, Jameson Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> wrote:
> 0 servo$ notmuch search id:4bd73e8cb3d79_1a3c..fb637ff610e@skinner.tmail
> A Xapian exception occurred performing query: Unknown range operation
> Query string was: id:4bd73e8cb3d79_1a3c..fb637ff610e@skinner.tmail
> 0 servo$

I also note here that notmuch is not returning an error, even though a
Xapian exception occurred and the search failed.  This is another
important issue.  I'm not sure if I should bring it up in a separate
message or not.  This goes back to the bug tracking issue.

@ 2010-10-23  0:48   ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2010-10-23  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Rollins, Notmuch Mail

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:41:18 -0400, Jameson Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> wrote:
> So I think this means that the problem probably lies mostly in the emacs
> UI not properly quoting the id string.  What originally got me on this
> problem is that I was not able to manipulate the tag of this email from
> within emacs.

Hi Jameson,

Thanks for reporting that problem. (And thanks for mentioning that the
problem occurred when trying to manipulate tags---I was having trouble
finding the operation that wouldn't work with the problematic ID.)

I've just added a test case to our test suite to cover this. Then I also
added a fix to the emacs code to properly quote message IDs to resolve
the problem.

There might still be other quoting problems here or there in the emacs
interface, so let me know if you find anything else. But at least a
large class of problems is fixed here.

> I also note here that notmuch is not returning an error, even though a
> Xapian exception occurred and the search failed.  This is another
> important issue.  I'm not sure if I should bring it up in a separate
> message or not.  This goes back to the bug tracking issue.

A separate message would be preferred for me. I'm basically using tagged
messages to indicate open bugs, so I'm now stuck with being unable to
untag this thread until both of these issues are fixed. And that's not
ideal.

-Carl

PS. What's also obviously not ideal is that there's no external
visibility of my "open bug queue". I'd definitely like to be able to
easily advertise things like "No, I haven't forgotten about that bug you
reported in April---I just haven't fixed it yet." Anyone want to write a
nice "notmuch search --format=html" for me?

--
carl.d.worth@intel.com

* Re: bug report: xapian error for message id with '..'
@ 2010-10-23  1:05     ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2010-10-23  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Rollins, Notmuch Mail