Sorry about the subject spam in that first message Backstory: When I switched to a newer 0.12 build the function I was using at the time stopped letting me tag messages while in search mode. notmuch-search-remove-tag had been changed to take 0 arguments. Old function: > (defun notmuch-search-delete () > "Remove 'unread' tag" > (interactive) > (notmuch-search-remove-tag "unread") > (forward-line)) > > (define-key notmuch-search-mode-map "u" 'notmuch-search-delete) I don't typically go into threads to mark them unread. But that kind of functionality is all I could find on the updated emacstips, lots of "notmuch-show-*" functions. [0] This patch tries to remedy that by introducing a function, notmuch-search-tag-and-advance which allows you to apply a number of tags at once to the current thread under the point -- non-interactively. It follows the form of the notmuch-search-archive-thread function. This github gist [1] is a .el file that I load with notmuch. It includes the new defun in full and demonstrates how to use it in a custom function mapped to a key. If this patch is accepted I would be happy to hash-out something to add to the emacs tips docs. [0] http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index6h2 [1] https://gist.github.com/1996899 -- Tim Bielawa, Software Engineer/Scribe Production Control Team (RDU) 919.332.6411 Cell | IRC: tbielawa 1BA0 4FAB 4C13 FBA0 A036 4958 AD05 E75E 0333 AE37