On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:26:12 -0700, Daniel Goldin wrote: > > Again, I'm not a programmer, so bear with me. When I open a "folder" > after the "hello page," I see a list of mesaages with subjects, authors, > dates, etc. It seems I am unable to operate on items in this list using > functions such as the following: > > (defun notmuch-show-tag-spam() > "mark message as spam" > (interactive) > (notmuch-show-add-tag "spam") > (notmuch-show-remove-tag "new")) > > I get a "buffer is read only" error. However, I can operate on the > messages themselves, when I move into a message buffer. The "notmuch-show-" functions only work in notmuch-show-mode, i.e. when a message is being displayed. The list of messages with subject, authors, etc. are notmuch search results, that are being displayed in a notmuch-search-mode buffer. "notmuch-show-" functions only work in notmuch-show-mode, and "notmuch-search-" functions only work in notmuch-search-mode. jamie.