On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:31:49 -0700, Thomas Schwinge wrote: > These tests should pass -- but they currently don't. Hi Thomas, Thanks for sending these test cases. This is actually my favorite way to receive bug reports. I really appreciate it! > What we get from these emails, is an author named ``LWN.net'', and the > ``Weekly Notification'' / ``Mailing Lists'' bits are stripped away. I > suspect this may be a misinterpretation in the notmuch address parser, > related to the dot in the name. I have not yet looked at the relevant > code. Yes, I believe this is related to the dot in the name. From my recollection a name with an address requires quoting. So the header that is currently formatted as: From: LWN.net Weekly Notification should instead be: From: "LWN.net Weekly Notification" I verified that adding this quoting fixes the tests[*]. I've CCed lwn@lwn.net in case the kind editors there would like to add quoting here. I don't have any of the relevant RFCs in front of me now, so I don't know exactly how an address with this missing quoting should be parsed. But I recall having failures trying to send mail to an address like this formatted without the quoting. So I'm not sure what could reasonably be changed here in GMime or not. I definitely do want to fix notmuch so that it indexes all of the text here regardless if it's formatted in an RFC-compliant way or not. -Carl [*] Except for test VI which has a bug in that it searches for the word "mailing" in the subject header, but no such word exists in the message's subject header.