* python/notmuch2 on PyPI
@ 2020-06-19 10:35 Floris Bruynooghe
From: Floris Bruynooghe @ 2020-06-19 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch, Thore Weilbier

Hi Thore, notmuch folks,

I noticed that Thore published notmuch2 on PyPI.  I think this is
because alot needs it's users to be able to pull it in as a dependency
using the normal Python mechanisms?

It seems this is currently published from a fork at
https://github.com/weilbith/notmuch2-python-bindings and I wondered if
it was possible to publish this directly from the main notmuch repo or
even integrate this into the normal notmuch release process.  What are
the pros and cons of this?  Is it a bad idea to tie these two publishing
mechanisms too close together?  To difficult to do bugfix releases?  Is
it too hard to make pypi publishing frictionless enough for the main
release process?

An cool stretch goal would be to publish manylinux wheels with the
library included.  But let's not get too hung up on that, small steps
are great.

Cheers,
Floris

* Re: python/notmuch2 on PyPI
@ 2020-06-19 10:41 ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2020-06-19 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Floris Bruynooghe, Thore Weilbier, notmuch

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for your work on notmuch2, Floris!

Just to clarify: alot does not, and will not, depend on packages being on PyPI
and is not intended to be installed through pip. I simply don't want to provide
support for this.

This said, I don't think it is difficult to automate pypi uploads and it cannot
hurt to have an "official" release up there instead of several unmaintained
corpses over the years.

Cheers,

Quoting Floris Bruynooghe (2020-06-19 11:35:42)

> Hi Thore, notmuch folks,
>
> I noticed that Thore published notmuch2 on PyPI.  I think this is
> because alot needs it's users to be able to pull it in as a dependency
> using the normal Python mechanisms?
>
> It seems this is currently published from a fork at
> https://github.com/weilbith/notmuch2-python-bindings and I wondered if
> it was possible to publish this directly from the main notmuch repo or
> even integrate this into the normal notmuch release process.  What are
> the pros and cons of this?  Is it a bad idea to tie these two publishing
> mechanisms too close together?  To difficult to do bugfix releases?  Is
> it too hard to make pypi publishing frictionless enough for the main
> release process?
>
> An cool stretch goal would be to publish manylinux wheels with the
> library included.  But let's not get too hung up on that, small steps
> are great.
>
> Cheers,
> Floris

* Re: python/notmuch2 on PyPI
@ 2020-06-19 12:30   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-06-19 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke, Floris Bruynooghe, Thore Weilbier, notmuch

Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First off, thanks for your work on notmuch2, Floris!
>
> Just to clarify: alot does not, and will not, depend on packages being on PyPI
> and is not intended to be installed through pip. I simply don't want to provide
> support for this.
>
> This said, I don't think it is difficult to automate pypi uploads and it cannot
> hurt to have an "official" release up there instead of several unmaintained
> corpses over the years.
>
> Cheers,

Notmuch as a project does not currently distribute any binary packages,
whether for linux distros or for PyPi, or fancy new things like flatpaks
or snaps.  A few of the notmuch developers are also Debian developers,
and also maintain notmuch in Debian. We find it convenient to have the
source for the Debian packaging in the notmuch repos, and maintain it
via the notmuch mail based review process.  Other linux distros like
Arch, Fedora, and OpenSUSE are maintained by people less involved with
upstream development, and they maintain the packaging separately. For
me, Pypi packages fall into the same category as other binary packages
that I don't use. In principle pypi packages could be maintained the
same way Debian packages are. That would require someone knowledgable
about the notmuch build system, and about pypi.

* Re: python/notmuch2 on PyPI
@ 2020-06-22 21:39     ` Floris Bruynooghe
From: Floris Bruynooghe @ 2020-06-22 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Patrick Totzke, Thore Weilbier, notmuch

On Fri 19 Jun 2020 at 09:30 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke@gmail.com> writes:
>> Just to clarify: alot does not, and will not, depend on packages being on PyPI

Ah, my bad.  I got some github threads mixed up and assumed this had to
do with alot.

> Notmuch as a project does not currently distribute any binary packages,
> whether for linux distros or for PyPi, or fancy new things like flatpaks
> or snaps.

Also fair enough, I think that's a very reasonable stance to take.

I was really hoping to hear from Thore on their motivation and how they
envision this to ideally work.  I'm curious how much work the syncing is
and how to keep it up to date etc.

Cheers,
Floris