Hello, On 2021-09-25 10:26, David Bremner writes: > I think it is a bug in doom or straight, or at least an assumption that > turns out to be wrong. They are assuming the elisp is runnable from git, > but in fact it needs to run make to create notmuch-version.el. I think > the straight recipe could specify a ":pre-build" step to build > notmuch-version.el. I attach a Makefile snippet that shows how to build > the file without running configure. You'd still need make, git, and sed. For the record, this was fixed in doom in this commit: https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/commit/473eda795a1fcfd5562798bab6f79f72b0cebb6f Best, Alan