On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:44:52 -0400, Aaron Ecay wrote: > Must set extra_c(xx)flags before including subdir Makefile.local's, > so that there is a blank slate that the subdirs can add on to. That part looks just fine, but it's intermixed with: > Must include subdir Makefile.local's before global one, otherwise > the compat sources are not added to the list of those to be > compiled. This part, which seems not ideal. I would have preferred it if we could have avoided fiddly ordering issues with our Makefile includes. The concept is that we are writing a single, flat Makefile but just maintaining it in pieces. And traditional Makefile rules don't depend on ordering so much. But the change of this variable assignment: But the patch switches to an order-dependent variable assignment for notmuch_compat_srcs here: > -notmuch_compat_srcs = > +notmuch_compat_srcs := And testing this a bit, it does seem necessary to do this since we are already using the order-dependent $(dir) variable in the expansion of notmuch_compat_srcs. So I've convinced myself, and pushed this patch as well. (I even tested by manually setting HAVE_GETLINE to 0 in Makefile.config) -Carl