* Feature request: Search header Reply-to when using search prefix from
@ 2021-05-26 16:24 Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
From: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho @ 2021-05-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

tl;dr;

This is a request for the search prefix 'from:' to look at both headers 'From:'
and 'Reply-to:'.

Detailed explanation:

Unfortunately DMARC broke the usage of the From: header in mailing lists.

When we use the search prefix 'from:' we don't get the emails we expect anymore
because mailing lists that respect DMARC have to replace them [1].

One of the solutions adopted by mailing lists is to set the Reply-To: header
with the original address.  That is forcing notmuch users to index that header,
but whenever we search emails from a person, we have to search for:

    from:person@example.com OR ReplyTo:person@example.com

This feature request is similar to what is done for search prefix 'to:' which
searches on headers 'To', 'Cc' and 'Bcc'.

[1] https://dmarc.org/wiki/FAQ#I_operate_a_mailing_list_and_I_want_to_interoperate_with_DMARC.2C_what_should_I_do.3F

Thank you!

--
Tulio Magno