On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:23:58 +0100, Matthieu Lemerre wrote: > Here is first a patch that copes with this last point. Whenever you > want to archive a thread, it finds whether you forgot to add a custom > "user" tag to a message, and if so asks you for a tag to add before > archiving. That way, I no longer have messages without any tags. Hmm, this would be very irritating in my own workflow in which I really only use a small number of tags on a fraction of my total mail archive to differentiate mail type or content which can't otherwise be determined from the indexed plain text of the message (I don't like to add a 'notmuch' tag to mail from the list for instance since a saved search for mail sent to the list address does exactly the same thing). I agree that the spacebar does too much if you're just using a search on the inbox tag and want something to stay visible even when you've quickly spacebar'd through a thread and archived it, but in my case that was easily solved by creating a new default saved search called 'todo' which collects unread, manually tagged 'todo' and mail matching a number of other criteria into one place. When something has been followed-up on, I remove the tag. Colouring threads using notmuch-search-line-faces is also very useful in that one-stop 'todo' view. Would any of that work for you? Why are plain text or header searches not able to find the mail you're looking for?