On Sat, Jun 01 2013, David Bremner wrote: > Austin Clements writes: > >> This is v3 of id:1369934016-22308-1-git-send-email-amdragon@mit.edu. >> This tweaks the shell invocation as suggested by Tomi and fixes two >> comment typos pointed out by Mark. It also adds a NEWS patch. I'm >> going to go ahead and mark this ready because of Tomi's and Mark's >> reviews of v2. > > The first 5 I pushed. The NEWS patch has a conflict. I'm very happy to see the long-coming sexp handling working here. Good work, folks, particularly to Austin for getting the awesome asynchronous processing stuff working. Searches are now definitely noticeably faster. I am, however, seeing a couple of issues that we might want to address. * Killing a search buffer that is still in the process of being filled causes errors to be thrown. I'm seeing both of the following intermittently: [Sun Jun 2 08:26:40 2013] notmuch exited with status killed command: notmuch search --format\=sexp --format-version\=1 --sort\=newest-first to\:jrollins exit signal: killed [Sun Jun 2 08:32:26 2013] notmuch exited with status hangup command: notmuch search --format\=sexp --format-version\=1 --sort\=newest-first to\:jrollins exit signal: hangup This is somewhat understandable, as the notmuch binary exits with an error if it hasn't finished dumping the output, but given how common this particular scenario is I think we should try to avoid throwing errors in this circumstance. I wonder if we shouldn't just modify the binary to not return non-zero if it was manually killed while processing the output, or at least special-case the particular error caused by manually killing the search. * The next thing I'm seeing is this: Opening input file: no such file or directory, /home/jrollins/tmp/nmerr5390CAY I'm not exactly sure what causes this error, but it looks to me like the temporary error file was removed before we were finished with it. * Finally, something happened that caused *12,000* of the following lines to be sent to the *Notmuch errors* buffer: A Xapian exception occurred performing query: The revision being read has been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and retry the operation Again, this was related to killing a search buffer that was still being filled. I'm pretty sure the database was not modified during this process. Let me know if I can help provide any more info. jamie.