On Wed 2017-06-21 13:04:53 -0700, Matt Armstrong wrote: > For what it is worth, I've found this idea from Daniel intriguing and > pretty useful in practice: > > "show me threads in which i've participated, where there are some > messages flagged with 'inbox'" > > I implement it like this in my post-new hook: > > # All messages in threads in which I participate get tag:participated > notmuch search --output=threads from:marmstrong | \ > sed -e 's,^,+participated -- ,' | \ > notmuch tag --batch cool, thx for the suggestion. the "notmuch search" part of the pipeline alone takes ~19s (wall time, and actual CPU time) for me though :/ It returns 30504 threads! how many threads do you get? you're effectively re-tagging every single message in every participated thread every time you run "notmuch new", right? > On my database the query takes about two seconds to run, and lets me to > searches like "tag:inbox and tag:participated". The set of threads > found is typically a subset of "tag:inbox and to:marmstrong", but not > always, and I now have two canned "inbox" searches: > > "participated" -> "tag:inbox and tag:participated" > "me" -> "tag:inbox and to:marmstrong and not tag:participated" > > The "me" search tends to be new stuff, bot-generated notifications, and > such. The "participated" is typically active conversations and stuff > I've already engaged with, or initiated myself. I like this outcome! I'm just looking for a way to do it that wouldn't cost me so many cycles -- Maybe if i only run "notmuch new" once a day :) --dkg