* notmuch-tag-jump for multiple threads
@ 2019-04-03 12:04 Sebastian Poeplau
From: Sebastian Poeplau @ 2019-04-03 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi all,

I'm wondering which workflow people use for this situation that comes up
frequently for me: I have a search that gives me a bunch of threads, say
new messages from a mailing list, and then I go over them, possibly
reading some threads in detail and skipping over others. Afterwards, I
would like to apply some tag changes to all threads, like "-unread" or
"+archived". So far, the two ways I've found to do so in the search view
are '*' (`notmuch-search-tag-all') and typing the tag change in the
completing read, or marking the entire buffer followed by 'k'
(`notmuch-tag-jump') and the shortcut for my change. It feels as if
something like 'K' would be nice, offering the same jump menu like 'k'
but applying the change to all displayed messages.

What is your take? Do you ever encounter the same situation? I would
give the implementation a try but wanted to make sure first that I'm not
missing anything.

Cheers,
Sebastian

* Re: notmuch-tag-jump for multiple threads
@ 2019-04-06  0:46 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2019-04-06  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Poeplau, notmuch

Sebastian Poeplau <sebastian.poeplau@eurecom.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering which workflow people use for this situation that comes up
> frequently for me: I have a search that gives me a bunch of threads, say
> new messages from a mailing list, and then I go over them, possibly
> reading some threads in detail and skipping over others. Afterwards, I
> would like to apply some tag changes to all threads, like "-unread" or
> "+archived". So far, the two ways I've found to do so in the search view
> are '*' (`notmuch-search-tag-all') and typing the tag change in the
> completing read, or marking the entire buffer followed by 'k'
> (`notmuch-tag-jump') and the shortcut for my change. It feels as if
> something like 'K' would be nice, offering the same jump menu like 'k'
> but applying the change to all displayed messages.
>
> What is your take? Do you ever encounter the same situation? I would
> give the implementation a try but wanted to make sure first that I'm not
> missing anything.

I tend to use '*' for those situations, but that might be because
tag-jump was added later. Your proposal sounds ok, as long as it re-uses
most of the tag-jump code.

On a semi-related note I sometimes miss the
ability to mark a set of non-contiguous threads / messages for action
(like 'm' in dired).

* Re: notmuch-tag-jump for multiple threads
@ 2019-04-08  9:11   ` Sebastian Poeplau
From: Sebastian Poeplau @ 2019-04-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch