From: Jameson Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net>
To: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com>, notmuch@notmuchmail.org
Subject: Re: notmuch-next branch
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:01:06 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:45:47 +0300, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think many people agree notmuch mainline has been rather slow. So
> I'm proposing to have notmuch-next branch, either on github or
> gitorious (please vote).
>
> More than one person should have write access to this repo, but some
> guidelines should be in place. I propose that patches should be
> signed-off-by at least another person in the mailing list before
> pushing. It would be nice if this is how the mainline branch works,
> but we don't need to wait for that to happen. We need to vote on who
> are the people to have write access.

I think this generally sounds like a fine idea, but I don't see why we
need a single central repo that multiple people need access to.  The
whole point of git is to allow for distributed development without need
for a central repo.

In this case, folks can just merge the patches they're interested in
into a "next" branch in their own personal repos, publish them where
ever they want, and then every body can just keep their "next" branches
synced with each other.  As consensus is reached, the next release will
emerge.

jamie.