On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:59:35 +0200, Adrien Bustany wrote: > On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:38:40 +0100, Chris Wilson > wrote: > > In order to handle installation into user directories, it is convenient > > to encode the library location into the search path for the notmuch > > executable. This is achieved for the GNU linker with the -rpath > > argument. > > I know that many distros (among them Fedora, see > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath ) > discourage the use of rpath. Do you think it could be an option set at > configure time (set rpath or not) ? Right. Debian doesn't want this either. Some of what I've wanted to do in "make install" to help with this: * Figure out the right way to run "ldconfig" from "make install" * Test if the runtime linker will be able to find the library, and if not print a message about setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH). Setting rpath with the option to prevent this might be possible too. But we can't do this unconditionally. -Carl -- carl.d.worth@intel.com