* speed of notmuch show --verify
@ 2021-12-24 12:45 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-12-24 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch; +Cc: Daniel Kahn Gillmor

I was tracking down some performance issues in the display of long
threads, and I eventually realized the problem was actually in the
notmuch CLI. I'm not sure if this is fixable, but basically the calls to
gpg are very slow when running "notmuch show --verify".  On a 114
message thread (with 39 signed messages) from the Debian BTS, --verify
makes the elapsed time go from .03s to 1.54s. Perf shows most of the
"hot" symbols are in gpg or in the kernel called from gpg.

I guess a lazy inserting approach in notmuch-emacs might help this as
well, since we don't need to verify the signatures of messages we don't
read.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-12-24 12:46 UTC | newest]