From: David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
To: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>, notmuch@notmuchmail.org
Subject: Re: bugreport: notmuch-hello (debian package elpa-notmuch 0.37-1)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 09:20:15 -0400	[thread overview]

Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:

> I wasn't sure the best way to report a bug against it, so I hope by
> sending it to thislist it will find its proper home.

Sure that's fine. Or report a debian bug using reportbug, which saves
you copying down the relevant versions. In particular it's possibly
relevant what version of emacs you are using.

>    export NOTMUCH_CONFIG=$HOME/.config/notmuch/notmuch.conf
>
> With this setting, I successfully set-up notmuch, created a database,
> and searched it from the command-line. However, from within emacs, M-x
> notmuch-hello failed when it would internally send shell command:
>
>    notmuch count --exclude=false
>
> The emacs shell-command error buffer would report "Error: cannot load
> config file". From outside emacs, that shell command *would* succeed.

I wasn't able to duplicate this (I'm running the debian packages and
emacs 28).

1) As a first step, try M-x getenv NOTMUCH_CONFIG
2) Just to confirm, you're not doing anything fancy with shell wrappers for
   either emacs or notmuch, are you?

> What did work for me was to create a default profile folder and move
> the config file there.
>
>    export NOTMUCH_CONFIG=""

Being set to the empty string is not the same as being unset from
notmuch's point of view. So maybe try unset instead. Empty string means
no config file is searched for or loaded.

>    mkdir ~/.config/notmuch/default
>    mv ~/.config/notmuch/{notmuch.conf,default/config}
>
> But then, in order to be able to continue to use notmuch from the
> command-line I needed to perform
>
>    export NOTMUCH_CONFIG=$HOME/.config/notmuch/default/config
>
> So it looks like the elisp package isn't checking the file location
> precedence mentioned in the man pages.

That definitely should not be the case, but may be potentially related
to having NOTMUCH_CONFIG="".