* notmuch search --output=files    error with AND NOT search terms
@ 2013-07-09 13:03 Ingo Hohmann
From: Ingo Hohmann @ 2013-07-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi list,

I am trying to check for mails, that are tagged differently from their
mailfolder.

So I am searching like this, for example:

     notmuch search   folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
     thread:0000000000005613   2008-01-15 [1/1] KIKIDAN News; kikidan
news 2008/01: Willkommen im neuen Jahr (inbox to-me)

That's OK, but if I want to get the file name of the message, suddenly
get another message, which isn't located in the 1_Personal folder at all.

     notmuch search --output=files   folder:1_Personal AND NOT
tag:1_Personal
/home/ianus/Mail/ingo-2b1-de/INBOX/cur/1362131239_2.9026.cordraconis,U=33535,FMD5=7e33429f656f1e6e9d79b29c3f82c57e:2,S
/home/ianus/Mail/ingo-2b1-de/1_Personal/cur/1361052415_0.30588.cordraconis,U=755,FMD5=2bd412d62930ab474a218128a61bdb68:2,S

Kind regards,

Ingo

* Re: notmuch search --output=files    error with AND NOT search terms
@ 2013-07-09 18:37 ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2013-07-09 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Hohmann, notmuch

Hi

> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to check for mails, that are tagged differently from their
> mailfolder.
>
> So I am searching like this, for example:
>
>      notmuch search   folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
>      thread:0000000000005613   2008-01-15 [1/1] KIKIDAN News; kikidan
> news 2008/01: Willkommen im neuen Jahr (inbox to-me)
>
> That's OK, but if I want to get the file name of the message, suddenly
> get another message, which isn't located in the 1_Personal folder at all.
>
>      notmuch search --output=files   folder:1_Personal AND NOT
> tag:1_Personal
> /home/ianus/Mail/ingo-2b1-de/INBOX/cur/1362131239_2.9026.cordraconis,U=33535,FMD5=7e33429f656f1e6e9d79b29c3f82c57e:2,S
> /home/ianus/Mail/ingo-2b1-de/1_Personal/cur/1361052415_0.30588.cordraconis,U=755,FMD5=2bd412d62930ab474a218128a61bdb68:2,S

The most likely cause is that these two messagefiles have the same
message-ids (so in notmuch's view are the same message). Try

notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal

If you only see one message-id then notmuch thinks there is a single message
that matches the search. The way notmuch works is that it first finds
which messages match and then prints the requested information for those
messages. So in this case it finds the matching message(s) then prints
all filenames for those matching messages.

There are some patches floating around for improvements to the manpage
but they haven't been applied/reviewed yet.

Best wishes

Mark

@ 2013-07-10 11:55   ` ingo
From: ingo @ 2013-07-10 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Mark Walters wrote
> Hi
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am trying to check for mails, that are tagged differently from their
>> mailfolder.
>>
>> So I am searching like this, for example:
>>
>>      notmuch search   folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
>>      thread:0000000000005613   2008-01-15 [1/1] KIKIDAN News; kikidan
>> news 2008/01: Willkommen im neuen Jahr (inbox to-me)
>>
>> That's OK, but if I want to get the file name of the message, suddenly
>> get another message, which isn't located in the 1_Personal folder at all.
>>
>>      notmuch search --output=files   folder:1_Personal AND NOT
>> tag:1_Personal
>> /home/ianus/Mail/ingo-2b1-de/INBOX/cur/1362131239_2.9026.cordraconis,U=33535,FMD5=7e33429f656f1e6e9d79b29c3f82c57e:2,S
>> /home/ianus/Mail/ingo-2b1-de/1_Personal/cur/1361052415_0.30588.cordraconis,U=755,FMD5=2bd412d62930ab474a218128a61bdb68:2,S
>>

> The most likely cause is that these two messagefiles have the same
> message-ids (so in notmuch's view are the same message). Try
>
> notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
>
> If you only see one message-id then notmuch thinks there is a single
> message
> that matches the search. The way notmuch works is that it first finds
> which messages match and then prints the requested information for those
> messages. So in this case it finds the matching message(s) then prints
> all filenames for those matching messages.

Hi Mark,

thank you for your answer, actually I only get one single message id, the
one I get without using --output=files.

notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
id:f76b9be792c46795945e1486ccb2b2ab@www.kikidan.com

How about the nextmost likely cause :-)

@ 2013-07-10 12:59     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-10 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Ingo,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 04:55:13AM -0700, ingo wrote:
> Mark Walters wrote
> >
> > The most likely cause is that these two messagefiles have the same
> > message-ids (so in notmuch's view are the same message). Try
> >
> > notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
> >
> > If you only see one message-id then notmuch thinks there is a single
> > message
> > that matches the search. The way notmuch works is that it first finds
> > which messages match and then prints the requested information for those
> > messages. So in this case it finds the matching message(s) then prints
> > all filenames for those matching messages.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> thank you for your answer, actually I only get one single message id, the
> one I get without using --output=files.
>
> notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT tag:1_Personal
> id:f76b9be792c46795945e1486ccb2b2ab@www.kikidan.com

Doesn't that confirm Mark's explanation?  Notmuch sees multiple files
associated to the same message (identified by the message id).

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: notmuch search --output=files    error with AND NOT search terms
@ 2013-07-11  8:39       ` ingo
From: ingo @ 2013-07-11  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali wrote
> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 04:55:13AM -0700, ingo wrote:
>> Mark Walters wrote
>> >
>> > The most likely cause is that these two messagefiles have the same
>> > message-ids (so in notmuch's view are the same message). Try
>> >
>> > notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT
>> tag:1_Personal
>> >
>> > If you only see one message-id then notmuch thinks there is a single
>> > message
>> > that matches the search. The way notmuch works is that it first finds
>> > which messages match and then prints the requested information for
>> those
>> > messages. So in this case it finds the matching message(s) then prints
>> > all filenames for those matching messages.
>>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> thank you for your answer, actually I only get one single message id, the
>> one I get without using --output=files.
>>
>> notmuch search --output=messages  folder:1_Personal AND NOT
>> tag:1_Personal
>> id:

> f76b9be792c46795945e1486ccb2b2ab@.kikidan

> Doesn't that confirm Mark's explanation?  Notmuch sees multiple files
> associated to the same message (identified by the message id).

Yes, you are right, don't know where I had my head when answering.

And both mails have the same message-id in the message header.

Still, only one of both files really should be found with this search, so
why is the out put different?

@ 2013-07-11 11:53         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-11 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Ingo,

Disclaimer: I'm just a user, with almost no knowledge of notmuch
internals.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 01:39:20AM -0700, ingo wrote:

> And both mails have the same message-id in the message header.
>
> Still, only one of both files really should be found with this search, so
> why is the out put different?

If there are multiple copies of a message, I would expect --output=files
to show all the copies (files).  I believe this is notmuch's way to
handle duplicate messages.  I think the confusion arises from the notion
of treating unique message id, and not unique physical files as the
definition of a message.  If you think a bit, seems reasonable too.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu