On Sun, Feb 10 2019, David Bremner wrote: > Adam Majer writes: >> The releases are signed in a funny way. The .asc file are not detached >> signatures of the checksum, but actually contain it inside the .asc file. >> >> # gpg -v --verify notmuch-0.28.1.tar.gz.sha256.asc >> ... >> gpg: binary signature, digest algorithm SHA256, key algorithm rsa3072 >> gpg: WARNING: not a detached signature; file >> 'notmuch-0.28.1.tar.gz.sha256' was NOT verified! >> >> A much better way of signing this would have been as a detached >> signature of the tarball itself. Why sign a hash of a hash? ;) > > I'm not sure why Carl did it that way 10 years ago. Perhaps Carl > remembers? Offhand, I don't see any reason not to go with a more > standard detached signature, other than it needs someone to do the > relevant work. If I did something non-standard here it certainly wasn't intentional. I certainly would not oppose moving to a more standard (and obvious to us) means of signing the releases. -Carl