* Problems with Maildir and files moving from new/ to cur/
@ 2010-02-09 15:38 Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2010-02-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: notmuch

Hi,

I use procmail to prefilter mail into various sub groups of a Maildir.
 This Maildir is served by dovecot IMAP and is also visible to
notmuch.  I run "notmuch new" followed by "notmuch tag -inbox -unread
tag:inbox" (I use GNUS to do my reading and don't want these tags in
the way the few times I run notmuch for reading) every 10 minutes from
cron.  I often will check my email before the cron job gets a chance
to run and vice versa.

The problem I have is that this race condition means that sometimes
notmuch will index a message as being under the Maildir/.<topic>/new/
subdirectory, I then read it and it is moved to Maildir/.<topic>/cur/
(I think that is what is happening).  Then when I do a search, notmuch
returns a file that is no longer around.

This may not be an issue with notmuch, per se, but does anyone have
any suggestions to make this work more smoothly?

Thanks,
-Brett.

* Re: Problems with Maildir and files moving from new/ to cur/
@ 2010-02-09 17:20 ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2010-02-09 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Brett Viren, notmuch

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:38:04 -0500, Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use procmail to prefilter mail into various sub groups of a Maildir.
>  This Maildir is served by dovecot IMAP and is also visible to
> notmuch.  I run "notmuch new" followed by "notmuch tag -inbox -unread
> tag:inbox" (I use GNUS to do my reading and don't want these tags in
> the way the few times I run notmuch for reading) every 10 minutes from
> cron.  I often will check my email before the cron job gets a chance
> to run and vice versa.
>
> The problem I have is that this race condition means that sometimes
> notmuch will index a message as being under the Maildir/.<topic>/new/
> subdirectory, I then read it and it is moved to Maildir/.<topic>/cur/
> (I think that is what is happening).  Then when I do a search, notmuch
> returns a file that is no longer around.
>
> This may not be an issue with notmuch, per se, but does anyone have
> any suggestions to make this work more smoothly?

Hi,

I'm afraid that with current version there is no solution for this.
There were some proposals to tell notmuch which files you want to index
and use this functionality to run indexing right on delivery on when a
rename is detected (e.g. by inotify). See
id:1264719647-sup-9540@ben-laptop for details. AFAIK nobody have sent
patches for this yet.

Cheers,
Michal

* Re: Problems with Maildir and files moving from new/ to cur/
@ 2010-02-10  0:34 ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2010-02-10  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Brett Viren, notmuch