On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:19:16 -0400, David Bremner wrote: > I think some tabular format would be handy because it is very easy to > parse with scripts, and because it is a natural natural way to get > e.g. a list of message-ids. > > --format=tabular --output=message-id Ah, so maybe your "notmuch show --format=tabular" is basically the same thing I imagined for "notmuch search" (once we teach it to accept a list of the desired elements to output). > On the other hand, I'm not yet using this code, so I guess the main > point is to discuss how output control should be implemented, and in > that sense the patch is a demo. I suspect once we start using json > output more, we will definitely want it there. Yes. I think we next need to implement some --output options and then see what we want from there. -Carl