* Installation problem on OS X
@ 2011-10-28  1:07 Michael Williams
From: Michael Williams @ 2011-10-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

there seems to be a problem with notmuch on OS X when installed to a non-standard location: it's install name is "libnotmuch.*.dylib" rather than something like "$(LIBDIR)/libnotmuch.*.dylib", which prevents the binary from locating the library when things are installed in a nonstandard location. make works, but attempts to run it result in

dyld: Library not loaded: libnotmuch.2.dylib
 Referenced from: /Users/mike/.homebrew/bin/notmuch
 Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

I ran into this when installing it via the homebrew packaing system into somewhere other than /usr/local. I've fixed it for the time being by doing

 install_name_tool -change libnotmuch.2.dylib /Users/mike/.homebrew/lib/libnotmuch.2.dylib /Users/mike/.homebrew/bin/notmuch

and in principle I could add a post-install hook to the homebrew formula to do this for other users of homebrew/OS X, but it seems like this is something that would be better fixed upstream. Any thoughts?

A related issue has come up before: http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2011/004094.html. Here's the discussion of this issue at homebrew: https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/8284.

Mike

* Installation problem on OS X
@ 2011-10-26  2:23 Michael Williams