* notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-09 10:26 Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2016-04-09 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hey all--

I'm running from the head of notmuch development right now, and when i
reply to multipart/signed or multipart/mixed mail in notmuch-emacs, i'm
noticing that the attributed text now has excessive indentation (it did
not when running from the latest release).

to be clear, i'm talking about replies that now look like:

-------------
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 01:02:29 +0200, Test User <test@exmaple.org> wrote:

>   This is some example text.  in the original message, it is
>   flush-aligned on the left-hand side.
-------------

instead of what i want, which is:

-------------
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 01:02:29 +0200, Test User <test@exmaple.org> wrote:

> This is some example text.  in the original message, it is
> flush-aligned on the left-hand side.
-------------

interestingly, the command line still shows the right thing:

  notmuch reply id:$MSGID

has the correct layer of indentation, as does:

  notmuch reply --decrypt id:$MSGID

Does anyone else see this behavior?  If you're using notmuch-emacs, try
replying to this message and looking at the attributed text.

         --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-09 19:09 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-04-09 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, notmuch

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> Does anyone else see this behavior?  If you're using notmuch-emacs, try
> replying to this message and looking at the attributed text.
>
>          --dkg

Hi Daniel;

I don't see it in "0.21+99~gd93d377" with emacs -q. Can you try that,
and if there is some settings issue?

* Re: notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-11 23:37   ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2016-04-11 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

On Sat 2016-04-09 15:09:57 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> I don't see it in "0.21+99~gd93d377" with emacs -q. Can you try that,
> and if there is some settings issue?

did you script your test?  if so, would you mind sharing your script?
i think your emacs-fu is superior to mine.

  --dkg

* Re: notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-12  0:20     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-04-12  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, notmuch

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> On Sat 2016-04-09 15:09:57 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> I don't see it in "0.21+99~gd93d377" with emacs -q. Can you try that,
>> and if there is some settings issue?
>
> did you script your test?  if so, would you mind sharing your script?
> i think your emacs-fu is superior to mine.
>
>   --dkg

I have the feeling I don't understand the problem. I replied to your
message, and didn't see any extra indentation there. I thought my reply
to the list was test enough. So what am I missing?

* Re: notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-12  0:50       ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2016-04-12  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

On Mon 2016-04-11 20:20:11 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> I have the feeling I don't understand the problem. I replied to your
> message, and didn't see any extra indentation there. I thought my reply
> to the list was test enough. So what am I missing?

Aha, it is due to a setting, thanks.  it's due to
notmuch-show-indent-multipart -- try setting it to "t" ?

i find that setting useful during notmuch-show buffers, but i don't
think it should apply when generating a reply message.

      --dkg

* Re: notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-12  1:05         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-04-12  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, notmuch

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> On Mon 2016-04-11 20:20:11 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> I have the feeling I don't understand the problem. I replied to your
>> message, and didn't see any extra indentation there. I thought my reply
>> to the list was test enough. So what am I missing?
>
> Aha, it is due to a setting, thanks.  it's due to
> notmuch-show-indent-multipart -- try setting it to "t" ?
>
> i find that setting useful during notmuch-show buffers, but i don't
> think it should apply when generating a reply message.

OK, I see what you mean.  I guess the idea is that reply should look
as much like show as possible/sensible. I know mark and (other) david
have been tweaking that part of the emacs UI lately, so maybe they have
some ideas.

* Re: notmuch-emacs replying produces excessive indenting on multipart/signed or multipart/mixed amil?
@ 2016-04-12  7:23         ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2016-04-12  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, David Bremner, notmuch

On Mon, Apr 11 2016, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Mon 2016-04-11 20:20:11 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> I have the feeling I don't understand the problem. I replied to your
>> message, and didn't see any extra indentation there. I thought my reply
>> to the list was test enough. So what am I missing?
>
> Aha, it is due to a setting, thanks.  it's due to
> notmuch-show-indent-multipart -- try setting it to "t" ?
>
> i find that setting useful during notmuch-show buffers, but i don't
> think it should apply when generating a reply message.

We can try binding it to nil during reply generation. Will generate
patch...