* notmuch_database_index_file with relative paths.
@ 2020-07-17 11:10 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-07-17 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

This is a sanity check on a bug I stumbled upon while writing unit tests
for error handling in the library.

The attached test script (meant to be run from within the test subdir of
a built source tree) demonstrates trying (and failing) to index a
relative path.

Am I missing something here, or does _notmuch_message_file_open_ctx (or
something that calls it) need to check for absolute paths and prepend
the mail root if not?

I'm just a bit surprised that no-one hit this before.

[-- Attachment #2: reproducer.sh --]
[-- Type: text/x-sh, Size: 1281 bytes --]

#!/usr/bin/env bash
test_description="notmuch_database_* API"

. $(dirname "$0")/test-lib.sh || exit 1

add_email_corpus

test_begin_subtest "building database"
test_expect_success "NOTMUCH_NEW"

cat <<EOF > c_head
#include <stdio.h>
#include <notmuch.h>
#include <notmuch-test.h>
#include <talloc.h>
int main (int argc, char** argv)
{
   notmuch_database_t *db;
   notmuch_status_t stat;
   char *msg = NULL;

   stat = notmuch_database_open_verbose (argv[1], NOTMUCH_DATABASE_MODE_READ_WRITE, &db, &msg);
   if (stat != NOTMUCH_STATUS_SUCCESS) {
     fprintf (stderr, "error opening database: %d %s\n", stat, msg ? msg : "");
     exit (1);
   }
EOF

cat <<'EOF' > c_tail
   if (stat) {
       const char *stat_str = notmuch_database_status_string (db);
       if (stat_str)
           fputs (stat_str, stderr);
    }

}
EOF

generate_message '[filename]=relative_path'
test_subtest_known_broken
test_begin_subtest "index file (relative path)"
cat c_head - c_tail <<'EOF' | test_C ${MAIL_DIR}
    {
        notmuch_message_t *msg;
        stat = notmuch_database_index_file (db, "relative_path", NULL, &msg);
        printf ("%d\n", stat == NOTMUCH_STATUS_SUCCESS);
    }
EOF
cat <<EOF > EXPECTED
== stdout ==
1
== stderr ==
EOF
test_expect_equal_file EXPECTED OUTPUT

test_done

* Re: notmuch_database_index_file with relative paths.
@ 2020-07-19 13:56 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-07-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> This is a sanity check on a bug I stumbled upon while writing unit tests
> for error handling in the library.
>
> The attached test script (meant to be run from within the test subdir of
> a built source tree) demonstrates trying (and failing) to index a
> relative path.
>
> Am I missing something here, or does _notmuch_message_file_open_ctx (or
> something that calls it) need to check for absolute paths and prepend
> the mail root if not?
>
> I'm just a bit surprised that no-one hit this before.

There is a proposed fix at

      id:20200719100539.917215-1-david@tethera.net

* Re: notmuch_database_index_file with relative paths.
@ 2020-07-25 11:22 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-07-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> This is a sanity check on a bug I stumbled upon while writing unit tests
> for error handling in the library.
>
> The attached test script (meant to be run from within the test subdir of
> a built source tree) demonstrates trying (and failing) to index a
> relative path.

this is fixed in commit c477d7ce311335fda16a15e624ca3931d79144cf