* Any updates on the `List-Id` indexing feature?
@ 2020-04-29 16:33 Ciprian Dorin Craciun
From: Ciprian Dorin Craciun @ 2020-04-29 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I've searched the mailing list archives about the `List-Id` feature:
* https://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg43214.html
* https://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg22092.html
* https://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg14146.html

I've also read the FAQ:
* https://notmuchmail.org/faq/#index8h2

Although I understand why it's not implemented right now, however
given how important it is to correctly handle emails from mailing
lists, I wanted to ask if there was any progress made in this regard?

Should I try to handle it myself in my own workflow, or is it on the
"roadmap".  :)

Thanks,
Ciprian.

* Re: Any updates on the `List-Id` indexing feature?
@ 2020-04-29 17:08 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-04-29 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ciprian Dorin Craciun, notmuch

Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun@gmail.com> writes:

> I've searched the mailing list archives about the `List-Id` feature:
> * https://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg43214.html
> * https://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg22092.html
> * https://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg14146.html
>
> I've also read the FAQ:
> * https://notmuchmail.org/faq/#index8h2

Oops, that needs to be updated.

> Although I understand why it's not implemented right now, however
> given how important it is to correctly handle emails from mailing
> lists, I wanted to ask if there was any progress made in this regard?

It is implemented. See notmuch-config(1), under "index.header"

* Re: Any updates on the `List-Id` indexing feature?
@ 2020-04-29 17:17   ` Ciprian Dorin Craciun
From: Ciprian Dorin Craciun @ 2020-04-29 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:08 PM David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
> > I've also read the FAQ:
> > * https://notmuchmail.org/faq/#index8h2
>
> Oops, that needs to be updated.
>
> It is implemented. See notmuch-config(1), under "index.header"

That's perfect.  However the `search-terms` man pages doesn't say how
it should be used.

Should I gather (from the `config` manpage) that these "prefixes"
should always start with a upper-case letter, as in: `notmuch search
-- 'List:some-id'`?

@ 2020-05-01 11:45     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2020-05-01 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ciprian Dorin Craciun; +Cc: notmuch

Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:08 PM David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
>> > I've also read the FAQ:
>> > * https://notmuchmail.org/faq/#index8h2
>>
>> Oops, that needs to be updated.
>>
>> It is implemented. See notmuch-config(1), under "index.header"
>

> That's perfect.  However the `search-terms` man pages doesn't say how
> it should be used.

Yes, it's a bit cryptic. There is a reference to user defined prefixes,
but that's it.

> Should I gather (from the `config` manpage) that these "prefixes"
> should always start with a upper-case letter, as in: `notmuch search
> -- 'List:some-id'`?

Yes, that sounds about right. In practice other things work as well, but
that depends on the Xapian tokenizer, which we don't really control, so
users should probably stick to capital letters to avoid suprises.