On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:33:08 -0400, Jameson Rollins wrote: > On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:03:55 +0000, Darren McGuicken wrote: > > A call to 'notmuch search-tags' from the command line does indeed > > return an empty string as the first entry for me[1]. > > fwiw, I don't personally get any empty strings in the output of > search-tags (with 0.4). So I don't think it's anything inherent to > that function. Thanks for the confirmation Jamie - I had a potter with my data and sure enough, a search for 'tag:""' returned one hit. I was able to use the emacs interface to remove the empty string tag from the matching message ('-' then return with no parameters). So it's probably fair to say that we'll want to handle at least the empty string scenario as part of our standard tag addition logic since it can lead to unexpected side effects in searching. Do we have any other 'known bad' scenarios in tag addition that we want to catch before I try my hand at a patch?