Hi. I apologize for the delay and reply below: >> And why does move backward but (which ought >> to be equivalent to , no?) moves forward? > > You'd think they'd be equivalent, but actually they are not. You can > use C-h k to test, even in a GUI/X11 emacs. I am aware that ~C-h k~ differentiates between and (or ), but I still think that, intuitively, since is equivalent to , then the user expects to be equivalent to . There is no use in having the same behavior as . And if the user is navigating forward with , then, if she moves past the target and thus needs to go backward, it is convenient to press and hit again (and vice-versa). And moving backwards is consistent with Org Mode tables, where moves backward but is bound to `complete-symbol'. But maybe I should not press this point further. >> Also, it seems that moves forward and moves backward, but >> does nothing useful. For consistency with Emacs Info Mode, >> Emacs View Mode, and some other applications such as Firefox, perhaps >> should move backward too. > > I note that S-SPC is not accesible in terminals. But if there's > concensus that is is useful I don't mind adding it. Binding S-SPC to something useful does not help on a text terminal, but does no harm either; and it helps on the GUI, which most people use. >> The introduction of help buffer for Notmuch-Show (reached by hitting >> ) describes the command without mentioning that it can archive >> the thread; only in specific description (which does not fit in >> the same window; one has to scroll) does it mention the archiving >> behavior. I believe the archiving behavior should also be mentioned in >> the introduction, lest the user unwittingly archive a thread she wasn't >> supposed to. > > I personally don't think archiving is that destructive, if someone wants > to improve this wording, it is the docstring for notmuch-show-mode See the attached patch---which also adds another minor clarification. >> Finally, the binding for in Notmuch-Show and Notmuch-Hello >> inconveniently clobbers the tab-bar-mode binding for that key. Should >> not Notmuch be content with // (and >> possibly ) and leave alone? >> > > Notmuch has used the binding since 2010 (almost 10 years before > tab-bar-mode existed), so people might be used to it; on other hand it > does seem redundant since the binding S-tab is also there. I'm not a > very serious user of notmuch-hello mode, and I don't use tab-bar-mode at > all, so I'd welcome feedback from other people about how attached they > are to C-tab. In my opinion, vanilla Emacs keybindings (even if recent) should not be overridden without strong reason. Feel free to give feedback on whether I am nitpicking, especially if the feedback is reasonably detailed. Regards! -- - Many people hate injustice but few check the facts. This provokes misinformation. Ask me about - Please adopt free/libre formats like PDF, Org, LaTeX, ODF, Opus, WebM and 7z. - Libre apps for AOSP (Replicant, LineageOS, etc.) and Android: F-Droid - https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html "What is free software?"