On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:25:13 -0500, Rob Browning wrote: > Sebastian Spaeth writes: > Conceptually what I'd like for it to do, is reference count -- only mark > the message deleted if every occurrence (across all maildirs) is marked > trashed (T). [I'm going back through this old notmuchsync thread after having worked to merge and improve some related synchronization featured.] The above idea sounds quite interesting and would be possible in the current approach. The only thing I don't like is that we would have some very detailed knowledge about the semantics of "deleted" hard-coded deep in the library. I already don't like the fact that the library has a hard-coded list with a handful of mappings between flags and tags. So, what we probably need here is for the user to be able to configure the mapping and in a fairly sophisticated way: 'R' on _any_ filename -> "replied" tag gets added 'T' on _all_ filenames -> "deleted" tag gets added 'S' on _any_ filename -> "unread" tag gets removed That would be expressible with just a couple of pieces of punctuation: R=replied;T*=deleted;S=~unread So maybe something like that? > > If notmuch gave me at least all filenames that are associated with a > > mail id, I could introduce a command line option "--prune --safe" > > which would This feature is at least implemented in libnotmuch at least. Hopefully things just keep getting better and better. I am looking forward to some feedback from users of notmuchsync who try out the new maildir.synchronize_flags support in notmuch itself. -Carl -- carl.d.worth@intel.com