* org links to messages
@ 2016-09-14 20:01 Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2016-09-14 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello List

I have found this tip: https://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index24h2 on
linking to notmuch messages in org-mode. It says:

    Support for linking to notmuch messages is distributed with org-mode,
    but as a contrib file, so you might have to work a bit to load it.

    In Debian and derivatives,

    (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/org-mode/lisp")

    Then

    (require 'org-notmuch)

I'm on Debian but i cannot find the path that is suggested to be added
to load-path. Also I cannot find org-notmuch.el if there is such a file.

I wonder if somebody can advice how I can make org-links to messages in
a notmuch-show of a message.

Best regards
--
Tomas

* Re: org links to messages
@ 2016-09-14 20:21 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-09-14 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin, notmuch

Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello List
>
> I have found this tip: https://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index24h2 on
> linking to notmuch messages in org-mode. It says:
>

>     Support for linking to notmuch messages is distributed with org-mode,
>     but as a contrib file, so you might have to work a bit to load it.
>
>     In Debian and derivatives,
>
>     (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/org-mode/lisp")
>
>     Then
>
>     (require 'org-notmuch)
>
> I'm on Debian but i cannot find the path that is suggested to be added
> to load-path. Also I cannot find org-notmuch.el if there is such a file.

You might need to install the org-mode package, rather than using the
version of org-mode shipped with emacs.

* Re: org links to messages
@ 2016-09-14 21:36   ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2016-09-14 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> You might need to install the org-mode package, rather than using the
> version of org-mode shipped with emacs.

I danced the following tango:

I installed a more up to date version of org through the emacs package
manager. Might not have been necessary. Then

(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)

Then I installed the org-plus-contrib package. Now I can make links,
thanks.

--
Tomas

* Re: org links to messages
@ 2016-09-15 15:41     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-09-15 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin, notmuch

Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> You might need to install the org-mode package, rather than using the
>> version of org-mode shipped with emacs.
>
> I danced the following tango:
>
> I installed a more up to date version of org through the emacs package
> manager. Might not have been necessary. Then
>
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
>
> Then I installed the org-plus-contrib package. Now I can make links,
> thanks.

I'm glad you got it working. For others reading this that prefer to use
debian packages,

% apt-get install org-mode

should suffice.