* notmuch shows tag which is not on any email
@ 2018-06-04 17:44 Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2018-06-04 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Dear notmuch developers,

does notmuch remember tags even if at time of query there is no
message tagged with the respective tag?:

$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
EA=telegraph@gmx.net

$ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
0

$ notmuch count  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
4498

There is no invisible character or some such:
$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph | head -n 1 | wc -c
27

I might have done something wrong while experimenting with this
tags and  'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' may be a leftover.  I
would like to remove it but since no message matches it's not
possible to remove it from messages and therefore the tag remains:

$ notmuch tag +EA=telegraph@gmx.net  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
EA=telegraph@gmx.net

I tried to utilise emacs to remove the tag, but notmuch-emacs
does not show 'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' in notmuch-hello's
'All tags' section.

Why is said tag in the tags listing, how to get rid of it?

Thanks, Gregor

* Re: notmuch shows tag which is not on any email
@ 2018-06-04 18:19 ` Carl Worth
From: Carl Worth @ 2018-06-04 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler, notmuch

On Mon, Jun 04 2018, Gregor Zattler wrote:
> Dear notmuch developers,

Hi, Gregor!

> does notmuch remember tags even if at time of query there is no
> message tagged with the respective tag?:

No. At least, from when I originally invented the notmuch schema, tags
only existed on messages and there was no separate store of a list of
known tags anywhere.

If something in the schema has changed since, I would appreciate someone
correcting me.

So, I'm not sure what's going on in with your notmuch database.

I tried tagging a couple of messages with the same tags you are seeing
in case there was something in one of these tag names specifically that
was ticking a problem. But things look fine for me.

Here's the output I'm now getting on my notmuch store with the same
commands you gave, (and note that everything is working for me):

$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
EA=telegraph@gmx.net
$ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
1
$ notmuch count  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
2
$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph | head -n 1 | wc -c
27

Anyone ave a theory for what could explain what Gregor is seeing?

-Carl

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: notmuch shows tag which is not on any email
@ 2018-06-04 18:36 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2018-06-04 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler, notmuch

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear notmuch developers,
>
> does notmuch remember tags even if at time of query there is no
> message tagged with the respective tag?:
>
> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
> EA=telegraph@gmx.net
>

> $ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
> 0
>

> $ notmuch count  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
> 4498
>

> There is no invisible character or some such:
> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph | head -n 1 | wc -c
> 27

Try all of the above with --exclude=false parameter and see if it makes
a difference. If it does, each of the messages tagged with
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet is probably also tagged with one of the tags
in 'notmuch config get search.exclude_tags'.

> I might have done something wrong while experimenting with this
> tags and  'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' may be a leftover.  I
> would like to remove it but since no message matches it's not
> possible to remove it from messages and therefore the tag remains:
>
> $ notmuch tag +EA=telegraph@gmx.net  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/

Try that with

$ notmuch tag +EA=telegraph@gmx.net -EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet -- is:/EA.*telegraph/

to remedy the situation.

BR,
Jani.

@ 2018-06-05  5:45   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2018-06-05  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Jani, Carl,
* Jani Nikula <jani@nikula.org> [2018-06-04; 21:36]:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2018, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
>> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
>> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
>> EA=telegraph@gmx.net
>>

>> $ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
>> 0
[...]
> Try all of the above with --exclude=false parameter and see if it makes
> a difference. If it does, each of the messages tagged with
> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet is probably also tagged with one of the tags
> in 'notmuch config get search.exclude_tags'.

You hit it spot on.

[...]
>> $ notmuch tag +EA=telegraph@gmx.net  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
>
> Try that with
>
> $ notmuch tag +EA=telegraph@gmx.net -EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
>
> to remedy the situation.

Thanks for your help, now the spurious tag is gone.

Ciao; Gregor
--