From: David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
To: hgv <hgv@fastmail.com>, notmuch@notmuchmail.org
Subject: Re: Help with sending mail from notmuch-emacs
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:47:23 -0300	[thread overview]

hgv <hgv@fastmail.com> writes:

> 1. Mail gets sent but doesn't save in the correct directory via FCC. I
> use msmtpq as my sending program. Upon sending, I receive this
> message: "message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed to mail
> for [ -oi -f hgv@fastmail.com -t ] : send was successful;" The mail is
> sent but is not saved in the fcc dir nor entered into the notmuch
> database. I have enabled emacs debugger (on entry with different
> functions related to sending) and stepped through the process but
> didn't see any pertinent information in the messages. My fcc line
> reads `(setq notmuch-fcc-dirs "fastmail/Sent +sent +inbox +sent-new")`
> (fuller notmuch-emacs config below). Any guidance on fixing or further
> troubleshooting (what should I look for on debugger) is appreciated.

Did you try setting a break on notmuch-maildir-fcc-with-notmuch-insert?
I'm guessing that it doesn't get called because the output of msmtpq is
misinterpreted as an error. I think this is a bug in msmtpq (or at least
a way in which it differs from a traditional sendmail). For me (using
nullmailer) "/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -f david@tethera.net -t < foo.eml"
generates no output on success. If you can change / replace the msmtpq
script, you could try commenting out the log line [1] that is printing
"send was successful".

Another test (which would be worthwhile for your second issue as well),
is to test with M-x message-mail (however one calls a command in doom).
This will eliminate the possibility of some setting of notmuch confusing
things. Of course it still won't insert into the notmuch database, but
if it is working you should not see a message about "Sending...failed"

David

[1] Maybe line 503?