Damien Cassou writes: > Hi David, > > Can you please explain me what in git-send-email makes it easier to > apply the patches? I'm also interested in your process to apply > patches from your mua (notmuch in Emacs hopefully) to your git > repository. There are some convenient tools for applying patches from notmuch in Sean Whitton's mailscripts collection [1]. I tend to work in the shell with some git aliases. [alias] nmam = "!f() { notmuch extract-patch $1 | git am -; }; f" [alias] nmam8 = "!f() { notmuch extract-patch $1 | email-to-8bit | git am -; }; f" [alias] nmam3 = "!f() { notmuch extract-patch $1 | git am -3 -; }; f" I use "c i" to copy the message id, and then paste it into a command line $ git nmam email-to-8bit is a little hack to work around mailman induced damage to patches; it seems less needed with new versions of git. notmuch-extract-patch is from mailscripts, and it fails (well, fails to extract any patch) with attached patches. I used to use notmuch show --format=raw in place of "notmuch extract-patch". This succeeds in extracting a patch, but smashes the body text together with the commit message in the resulting commit. >> [ about emacs git commit messages ] > I think it focuses too much on what has changed > (something that could be inferred from the patch with a little tooling) > instead of why the code has changed this way (something only the author > can tell). Exactly. [1]: https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts also available in e.g. Debian.